cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netflix and VOD not working on Hopper

bknelson80
Character Actor
Hello...

I am a new customer to Dish and just had a Hopper and a Joey installed in my home. I currently have internet service provided by Cox Communications. Ever since the installation of my Hopper (last Friday July 21) I have not been able to access either the Netflix application nor VOD content on my Hopper. Whenever I attempt to access Netflix, my screen just shows the the Neflix splash screen and then after about 2 - 3 minutes, I get a connection error on my screen (error UIC-113 or NW-1-1000) which basically say that the Netflix.com server cannot be reached. I was initially told by customer service to allow 48 hours for all updates and downloads to complete which has come and gone.

I have checked my internet connection several times on the Hopper (home, settings, internet) and everything shows green. I also have my Hopper directly connected to my internet router via a CAT6 cable (so WiFi is not being used). I have worked with tech support and even had a Dish technician come to my home and this is still not working.

I was just told by the Dish technician yesterday that the most likely problem was the model of router that I have in my home for my internet service with Cox Communications. I have a Netgear C6300BD router and have been using it for all my internet for the past 3 years WITHOUT any issues streaming either Netflix or any other streaming service.

However, ever since having the Hopper installed, Netflix (on the Hopper only, my Netflix on both my TV and on my Amazon FireTV stick still work just fine) and none of the Dish VOD features appear to be able to get access via my internet connection.

Having received this information from the Dish technician, I have since requested a new router from Cox Communications in hopes that this will resolve the problem.

My question is... I am not 100% certain that a new router is going to resolve this issue. What can you specifically tell me is wrong with the Netgear C6300BD router and its ability to work with the Hopper? I have seen other posts on the internet that elude to a problem with "blocked" ports on the router. I am confused as to why all of my other streaming devices which access Netflix do not appear to be having a problem and why only the Hopper is having a problem.

Also, if this is some sort of a known issue with this particular model of router, why was this not brought to my attention before now? It stands to reason that if I am not receiving all the services that I am paying for, I most likely would not want to continue my service. Today is the 3rd business day since I started my service and I would like to know if I should be utilizing my 3 day cooling off period to cancel my contract.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
15 Replies

Re: Netflix and VOD not working on Hopper

peggyrh
Associate Producer
FYI, there is no 3 day cooling off period, you agreed to a 2 year contract when you signed the installation completion agreement.

RickObe
Visual Engineer
peggyrh wrote:
FYI, there is no 3 day cooling off period, you agreed to a 2 year contract when you signed the installation completion agreement.

Cooling off period is a matter of state law. I know that in my state, if you signed the contract in your home, then a three-day cooling off period is in effect.

bknelson80
Character Actor
Guys... I checked in the state of Arizona, this type of sale is not subject to the 3 day period. I was assuming that it was, thus why I mentioned it. Thanks for the info anyway. Anyone have any input or ideas about the actual issue I am having?

Thanks.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
What city in Az?

bknelson80
Character Actor
I am in Avondale.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
bknelson80 wrote:
I am in Avondale.

Ok, I am in Mesa. That's why asking. As far as the Netflix and the router, have you tried bypassing the router and go straight into the modem? I bought a new router, and was having similar issues. After playing with some settings(can't remember what they were) was able to get it rolling. And that was with wifi.

bknelson80
Character Actor
I would love to bypass it... But my modem and wifi router are all in the same device. I suspect that there is blocked port on my router that the hopper uses that is exclusive to them and not my other streaming devices.

scotar
Audio Engineer
I think there is another network connection on the back of the H3. Try it. There may be something "off" about that NIC. Also try a different port on the router.

If it is hardwired there shouldn't be any compatibility problem with the router.

I would also try a different cable. There could be a break in one of the wires(more likely an end connector problem) but it still sees the partial connection as being valid.

bknelson80
Character Actor
Thanks for the info. I tried all the suggestions you made and still no go. I even tried my wireless connection again. With the wifi only connected, it would show that I was connected to the Internet but the download and send tests would then fail. I plugged my network cable back in (using the 2nd NIC this time) and then the download and send tests once again would work. However, still no Netflix or VOD. Hopefully my new wireless router from Cox will arrive tomorrow and I can try that. I will keep everyone posted. I know there are others having this problem as well.