Netflix App not working

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netflix App not working

Jcaspell
Character Actor
I have a Hopper3 and Joeys, and the Netflix app stopped working on all of them about 6 months back. I always thought it was my wifi but today I went to wired Ethernet and every app is now speedy fast....but Netflix still does not work. it is clearly the app itself as I have strong Internet (256 MBPS downstream) and every other app and On Demand works. Also it is not my Netflix account as it works on every other device we have.

When I open Netflix it instantly says Unable To Connect To Netflix. On the More Details button, I run a Check Your Network test and it instantly green check marks the connections to the Netflix servers and Internet, but says speed is 0 MBPS (Netflix is the only app with 0 MBPS as every other app has data and works). That same page shows my login info as logged in to the app. Then, on that same More Details page, when I tell it to force log out of Netflix and confirm it with the Yes button, it never advances and logs out. I have done every troubleshooting possible (reset router, reset Netflix app, reset Hopper and Joeys including unplugging from wall, sat on phone with a tech rep with no solution), and am now convinced with everything else working that the Netflix app Is simply stuck and cannot get unstuck. And there does not seem to be a way to unfreeze it or redownload a fresh version to unfreeze it or force log out/reboot the app. It's simply stuck.

Other posts say this is a known issue, but it seems it has been for MONTHS. If other products can find a way to have a successfully running Netflix app, why can't Dish? Something as simple as a forced redownload of the app certainly may unfreeze it but the tech rep never tried that. Or an updated patch release, certainly something more recent than 2015 which it shows in the Hopper version and 2013 on the Joeys. And it should not take a Hopper3 and Joeys replacement.

Anyway, this needs to get fixed and soon. We are LONG standing Dish customers and one of the reasons we went to Hopper3 was for the Netflix app....that does not work. Hopefully the details logged above can help isolate the problem and lead to a solution.

A fix and/or timeframe on solution for a good customer is in order and [u:d09ogj0t]I would greatly appreciate contact back from Dish[/u:d09ogj0t] more than a generic reply. I look forward to hearing from you Dish!! Thanks.
24 Replies

Re: Netflix App not working

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
Nf has been working flawless for me. Been a few others mentioning problem however seem to either been fixed for them or they got it working with DISH support.

Can you give us more detail on how your system is all connected?
ISP Speeds you have UP and Down that you pay for?
Mfr and model router you have?
What SW version is currently loaded one the H3 and Joeys.

I have H3 and 3 Joeys and all work with Nf.
Can review my foot note about my configuration and how it's connected. Been working well for me this way for years.

Jcaspell
Character Actor
Now I'm finding resetting the app makes it work one time on the Hopper3 but not the Joeys. Bridging is set to ON on the Hopper3 and other apps work via bridging but not Netflix.

The error message on the Joeys says Yor device may not be connected to the Internet with code now-1-1000. Resetting it on the Joey does not work.

Hopper3: DishTV 4kHopper
Software version U345 3/7/2017 3:36 am
Boot strap version 1012
Netflix software version nrdp 4.2.2-U345
Netflix app version nrdapp 2015.1.1 nrdlib 2015.1.1 mdxlib 2015.1.1
Netflix UI build release 20161202_3661_26-gibbon-sapphire-darwinql

Joeys:
Software version U276 3/7/2017 4:01 am
Boot strap version 1316
Netflix software version nrdp 4.0.63-U276
Netflix app version nrdapp 2013.2.63 nrdlib 2013.2.63 mdxlib 2013.2
Netflix SDK version 4.0.63-release-2185329

Configuration:
Suddenlink wired Internet
256MHZ download 21MHZ upload via Netgear AC1800 Nighthawk wifi router
Connected via CAT6 Ethernet, standard coax on the cabling

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
Disable Bridging on the Hopper and test to see if Joeys will work with out it.

Last time I watched Nf was on Hopper. Been a bit longer for Joeys however last time I did watch, it worked on of them.

I presume the Joeys are RG6 connected to the Hopper with a splitter?
Can you connect one Joey up by using RJ45 CAT6 lan cable with the Hopper to see if Joey can get Nf connected?

Jcaspell
Character Actor
Yes Joeys are RG6 with splitter to Hopper. MoCA shows all are linked with strong signal. All diagnostics show no issues all connected all working. Good strong internet now too.

It seems to work on Joey with RJ45 CAT6. With the RG6 MoCA it needs bridging on to work the data.

Somehow there is a bug it seems in the app itself causing it to think, on the RG6 MoCA connection, it is losing connection.

I had a great talk with a tech rep today (be sure to call during business hours, calling on a Sunday got me a rude and disinterested person). She confirmed there is a known issue with the app that may cause intermittent problems with it and a fix will be downloaded when it is ready.

For now it SEEMS I have it working on the Hopper after several forced resets. It just needs a Joey fix too. Maybe my Ethernet is now getting it to catch up and work. Who knows....

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
Ok, sounds like I don't see this issue since I'm all CAT6 ethernet here.

Hope they get it fixed soon. You might consider going all ethernet CAT6 sometime. Less hassle. ;)

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
I checked one of my Joeys last nite before bed. I could get logged in and browse the entire resource, however after picking a selection and starting it, 3 seconds in to playing the video, it prematurely stopped and showed a message that there is a problem showing the video and to try another selection or try later. :shock: Tried a few other different videos and each one did the same thing. I selected in the in app diagnostics and had it check for internet and all reported green check marks as being ok. I need to check my Hopper and the other Joeys as this one in the bed room is new and I didn't get a chance to check Netflix on it until last nite. :roll:

tommyy2
Visual Engineer
"She confirmed there is a known issue with the app that may cause intermittent problems with it and a fix will be downloaded when it is ready. "

Seems to be the standard response from Dish Support, perhaps what they really mean is:

The Latest Updates have screwed up everything and we know it.
At some future unknown date we hope to figure out what we have broken and patch it up, don't call us we'll call you.

Seems Disk Support don't need you and they expect the same.

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
I presume as well. It had worked on U344 was the last time I check. I got updated to U345 on 3/7 and hadn't had any time to check it till last nite. Will try this evening to confirm rest of system.

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
So ran a check again last nite with my living room Joey and was able to log into NF and started a video. No premature stops seen. Went to my bedroom joey where I saw the premature stop in video and this time didn't see any issues. ;) Selected a couple of videos and all played well. Must have been something in the service or app. :?