Netflix APP and black screen

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Netflix APP and black screen

DISH Employee

Hey Nalria! I hate to hear that you are still having this problem with Netflix. I will be happy to go ahead and submit a report over to my technical operations team. 

Can you send me a private message with your phone number and 4-digit PIN? 

rkw15656
Costume Designer

Still broke after more than two years.  DISH at it's finist. 

rkw15656
Costume Designer

it's not just the Dish hardware that doesn't work,  i don't think Dish support or engineering does much either... and they want to become the fourth major Cell carrier.  I'm glad i have a choice.

Martyrr
Extra
Sept 2019...same problem. Reset works for a day. Joey works. Tech support gives same answers over and over...apparently since 2017.
20 year customer considering leaving.

rkw15656
Costume Designer

Hope this might help some of you.   After dealing with the Netflix problem(audio only, blank screen) for quite a while, i finally got pissed.  I worked with Dish support(terrible) and they put me thru the standard BS.  restarts, resets, new hdmi cable,  new hopper 3,  more resets, etc etc,   no help.  still netflix audio only, blank screen only when playing a show/movie. Netflix home screen, menus, fast forward thumbnails were fine, as well as dish tv, youtube all OK.

As it turned out, my problem was not Dish(it sucks for me to say this), but an hdmi port on my tv that had issues with HDCP.

The Netflix App on Dish SUCKS.  Troubleshooting this on my own, i connected a ROKU in place of the Hopper3( same cable/port on tv).  As soon as a fired up Netflix, and started a movie/show, the ROKU gave a detailed error message about HDCP.  One of the suggestions was to try a different port on TV.  That worked for ROKU. Switching back to Hopper3, it also now worked.    After googling HDCP hear is what i learned.   Part of the HDMI standard is an option for apps to enable Copyright Protection(HDCP).  The Netflix App enforces HDCP.  When Netflix sends the video to a TV, it expects the TV to handshake and acknowledge HDCP enforced, otherwise the video is blank.  

Sorry for long story. I am now good ( not much help from dish). Netflix app sucks on Dish.