Netflix APP and black screen

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netflix APP and black screen

PortlandChris
Camera Crew
On Hopper 3 Netflix App used to work fine, now it is not uncommon for it to be just a black screen and play the audio.

I can restart and sometimes this fixes, sometimes it does not. I have restarted the Hopper and sometimes it works. Sometimes it does not. I end up going back to the Roku. Later it seems to work fine.

Sometimes it is the same thing with the Joeys - same back screen.

What is going on? This is getting ridiculous.
16 Replies

Re: Netflix APP and black screen

DISH Employee
Have you tried doing a whole home reset then once all the receivers are back up and running, you can do a factory reset on the Hopper for Netflix. This has solved a lot of Netflix issues on the Hopper 3 system. Here are the steps:

Whole Home Reset: Unplug all the Joey's and leave them unplugged. While they are unplugged you need to unplug the Hopper for 10 seconds. Once the Hopper says "Starting Up" then you can plug all the Joey's back in. This order is important.

Factory Reset Netflix: On the Hopper remote press the House button 3 times. Go down to Tolls and select Reset to Factory Defaults. On this next screen select Reset Netflix to Defaults.

PortlandChris
Camera Crew
Yes, I have done this.

Sometimes it works. Sometimes it does not.

This is not the solution because it sometimes works and sometimes does not. There has to be a software issue.

My solution to when it does not work is to watch through the Roku, and then a few days later this seems to work fine again.

My download speed is 200 mbps, so it's not the bandwidth speed either. Even if I get 20% of the speed its still more than sufficient to drive Netflix. I always get around 180 mbps or even more.

SamanthaF wrote:
Have you tried doing a whole home reset then once all the receivers are back up and running, you can do a factory reset on the Hopper for Netflix. This has solved a lot of Netflix issues on the Hopper 3 system. Here are the steps:

Whole Home Reset: Unplug all the Joey's and leave them unplugged. While they are unplugged you need to unplug the Hopper for 10 seconds. Once the Hopper says "Starting Up" then you can plug all the Joey's back in. This order is important.

Factory Reset Netflix: On the Hopper remote press the House button 3 times. Go down to Tolls and select Reset to Factory Defaults. On this next screen select Reset Netflix to Defaults.

DISH Employee
I completely understand how this can be frustrating. However, this is a known issue and there seems to be a scheduled software update this evening that should resolve the issue. The previous solution provided was a known work around and works in some cases. We apologize for any inconveniences this has caused.

KevinLJ was correct. I was having the exact same problem as PortlandChris, who posted this original comment. An update to my Hopper3 that occurred on November 17th caused Netflix to stop working on all of my 4K Joeys. Early this morning (11/29/17) around 12:35 AM, my Joeys got update U484. Now Netflix is working again on all of them.

One interesting quirk I noticed is that after I choose "Who is watching Netflix" the first time, it skips that screen on subsequent Netflix sessions. I'm fine with this because I'm the only one watching, but it could be an issue for families with multiple user accounts. There's probably an easy way to fix it (log out and back in, I'd guess), but I'm not going to debug it since it doesn't affect me.

Thanks for fixing this issue, Dish.

PortlandChris
Camera Crew
I am still having this issue. The NetFlix app is just black half the time. I can restart, and sometimes it solves it, other times it does not.

I also do not have any update. Still working with an October vesion. I have restarted the Hopper 3 trying to trigger any downloaded updates to load, but not happening.

Hopper 3 is great in concept, but it's lacking in ability.

PortlandChris
Camera Crew
so in 4 days no one at DISH can address this issue?

DISH Employee
Let's try resetting the Netflix App to its Factory Default setting. To do this, at the Hopper press the Menu button twice. If you do not have a Menu button, Press the Home button 3 times. Then go to "Tools" on the left side of the screen and select "Reset to Factory Defaults" then select "Reset Netflix to Defaults."

After you select this, it may ask if you're sure you want to reset Netflix, just select Yes.

You'll need to log back in to your Netflix account after the reset.

PortlandChris
Camera Crew
does a reset delete things?

DISH Employee
I don't know exactly what it resets when you choose the 'Netflix' option, but it shouldn't impact the timers or recordings or anything on the receiver itself.