NBC Bay Area - Black screen (no error message)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBC Bay Area - Black screen (no error message)

Jnicolls74
Character Actor
Ever since I have been a dish customer (over a year) I have been experiencing random black screens that last 5-10 seconds. It only happens on 1 channel, no problems except for NBC Bay Area Sports. I put up with this all of last season thinking that Dish would eventually fix the problem. No need for me to call customer service, I’m sure someone else has reported it. Well, baseball season has started up again, and the problem still exists. I’ve called and chatted with support 3 times in the last week. They claim no one else has reported this issue. Support has walked me through the receiver reset multiple times (thats not going to fix anything). Btw, it just happened as I was typing.

My thought is If it was a hardware problem on my end, it would happen on multiple channels. Support thinks it may be a feed problem from NBC. If so, why has nobody else reported it ?

So Dish support expects me to stand by waiting for their engineers to identify a problem that only 1 customer has reported ? Yeah, they will jump right on that one.

So, I want out of my contract. I have 11 months left. I’m not willing to pay any penalties either.

What are your thoughts Dish community ?
10 Replies

Re: NBC Bay Area - Black screen (no error message)

peggyrh
Associate Producer

You don't get out of a contract that easily.  Request a tech visit to find out what's wrong.

Jnicolls74
Character Actor
Wouldnt the dish support folks offer a technician visit if they thought it would be of any assistance ? All 3 support calls ended with “we will forward this information to our engineers”

DISH Employee

There are a few others things that we can double check to verify whether the issue is in fact the feed itself. 

What equipment do you currently have? 

What satellite orbitals are you receiving? If you have the Hopper system, press the Home button two times and select Dish on the Diagnostic screen.They will be listed under Switch Status. If you have a ViP receiver, press the Menu button and selecting System Setup > Installation > Point Dish > Check Switch. They will be listed under Satellite Input 1. 

Jnicolls74
Character Actor
I have a wally receiver.
Satellites 119, 110, and 129. All 3 have a green check mark in the switch status.
Is Dish really going to hold an angry, unsatisfied customer ransom for a measly $200 early cancellation fee? This has been happening for over a year.

DISH Employee

Thank you for that information. While this issue has already been submitted to our Engineering Team, I do want to double check to see if there is another option to get this resolved for you. We would hate to see you leave the DISH family due to this technical problem. 

Can you please send us a Private Message with your phone/account number and 4 digit PIN? You can do this by clicking the mail icon on the top right corner of the page and click New Message. You will need to type in my username in the Send To field. 

Jnicolls74
Character Actor

here is the response I received after sending a PM to JasmineD, note that the response is NOT from Jasmine.           So much for the theory behind a "PM".  

MattG 38m ago   
Thank you for that information. I feel that it would be best to have a tech come out and check everything for you as we have not seen this.  You can also try a new HDMI cable or different input on the TV.

Without Dish Protect Silver on the account, there is a one time $95 charge for a tech visit. We can always add it on ($8.99/month) to discount the visit to $10. You would need to keep this for 6 months. If cancelled before the 6 months, there is a $30 fee to cancel it. Would you like to add this to your account to discount the visit?

peggyrh
Associate Producer

Matt G is a site moderator, been with Dish for a long time (has helped me with support several times over the years). The rep you responded to probably had a few days off so rather than make you wait for a response he gave you an answer. Not sure what you don't understand, his answer was pretty straightforward - a tech visit costs $95 if you don't have the Protection Plan, discounted if you do. Always been that way (same when I had DirecTV 10 yrs ago), nothing is free anymore.

Jnicolls74
Character Actor

Per Private messagd from support, tech visit alone costs them $150 a visit.

Spoke to the cancellation department, tech visit is scheduled for tomorrow.

I will make Dish spend more in tech support than it costs me in early cancellation.

thanks for you dish loving input Peggy.

Jnicolls74
Character Actor
Followup after the tech visit a couple months back. The tech replace the coax wire from the dish to the receiver. He could find no other problems, nor did he stick around long enough to verify if the problem was actually fixed. The problem DOES indeed still exist. I have just been putting up with the problem. Now the receiver is randomly rebooting and downloading the channel guide multiple times per day. So I suspect that the problem has been the receiver itself this whole time. I am sure that if I called tech support they would walk me through the same steps of re-booting, running diagnostics, etc and not fix anything. Me : anxiously awaiting the day when I won't be subject to an early cancellation fee.