cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Multiple bugs and issues with Hopper 3

Major Havoc
Cinematographer

@Monken wrote:

The picture simply goes to blank when I try to multiview (options picture in picture multiview).  Split screen works fine and all other settings.  Multiview crashes the Picture.  I have hdmi and rca as well for audio.  The audio does not crash.  

thanks

wes

Hi Wes. I am looking at multi-view right now. The only issue I see is with OTA channels breaking up (inside their own window) when in multi-view but work fine in full view. Otherwise I am chaning channels, watching DVR, and all with zero issues in image or sound.  My TV and Hopper are set to 1080. 

When you say it crashes, what exactly does that mean? Does the box reset and reboot? You said the audio works, just no image?  So the box is still running? If you press info, do you see anything on the screen?

I suspect that when in muti-view, your TV cannot display the image for some reason. If the audio is still working then the box is most likely still working. When you exit multi-view, does the image come back? When you switch to multi-view does the image go to snow for a fraction of a second before going black? 

You also said audio stays on. Does it possibly switch from HDMI to RCA when that happens? That would indicate HDMI issues. 

Can you try this on a different TV?  I like the idea of trying a different HDMI cable, but that is typically not a failure. How far from the Hopper is your TV? How long is the HDMI cable? 

Also, look in the Hopper3 settings and see what your TV output setting is. And check on your TV that your TV resolution and the Hopper resolution are the same. It is possible that they are different and something about multi-view caues a failure. 

The other thing that may cause this is if one of the pictures in Multi-view has HDCP turned on (copy protection) and you TV cannot display it beause of HDCP error.  Have you confirmed that you can view each of the multi-view channels individually by themselves? 

Monken
Extra
I don’t have/ don’t use OTA.

The screen goes to black and then my Audio receiver Denon comes on the screen. The box doesn’t reboot on its own. I reset the hopper and it comes back up.

I tried on another tv prior to the new cable but will do so again. I won’t be home until later tonight.

The replacement cable is 35 ft.

I have not checked all 4 channels. I believe it is the last 4 channels viewed?

It is a JVC RS500 projector. At times I have eliminated the AVR (Denon receiver).

Thanks for your help. I will double check the resolution suggestions and try on another tv.

It does act like handshake issue. What Dish programs have HDCP?

Major Havoc
Cinematographer

@Monken wrote:
I don’t have/ don’t use OTA

The screen goes to black and then my Audio receiver Denon comes on the screen. The box doesn’t reboot on its own. I reset the hopper and it comes back up.

I tried on another tv prior to the new cable but will do so again. I won’t be home until later tonight.

The replacement cable is 35 ft.

I have not checked all 4 channels. I believe it is the last 4 channels viewed?

It is a JVC RS500 projector. At times I have eliminated the AVR (Denon receiver).

Thanks for your help. I will double check the resolution suggestions and try on another tv.

It does act like handshake issue. What Dish programs have HDCP?

Ok, no OTA. Check

I also have an AVR Denon (AVR -H6400X), so I am not suspecting that is the issue, but it could be. My older Denon did have this issue from time to time. 

When it goes black and your Denon comes on, this MIGHT be a Denon issue not liking the video. Try this: Take the HDMI cable from the Deno to the TV, and plug that into the output of the DISH Hopper. Thus, you TV is connected now directly to the Hopper. See if the multi-screen shows up now. If yes, the Denon is the problem. If no, then its the TV or the Hopper.  (You said you may have done this but did not say what happened.)

It is possible that a sharp edge in video can cause some monitors or projectors to think they are seeing something else in the signal, and reset the image. 

HDCP is a tricky thing. Could be your Denon bringing it in, could be the monitor. You would have to look at the channels you are tuned to. Any pa channel probably has HDCP turned on. Dish would have to tell us if they also use HDCP on OTA channels. (Sorry, used to have an HDMI analyzer that could tell me if HDCP was on, but no longer have that.) You can tell if the HDMI is failing if the audio is falling back to the analog audio (I believe Denon will tell you that, or you can unplug that anaog audio and see if it goes out.) 

Note that pressing ENTER while in the Multi-view will select the current video and bring it to full screen. If this is a problem displaying multi-view, it should come back when you go back to full screen. 

35 feet is not extreme, but it is long, and ingress noise can cause issues. 

One other thing to try. After switching to Multi-view, try turnnin off the Denon and then turn it back on. See if the image comes back. Note later Denon's will switch to one HDMI input (usually #1 unless you changed it) when you turn off the Denon to standby. So you might see an image when you switch off the Denon as well. 

Some things to try. Let me know.

Major Havoc
Cinematographer

Oh, one other thing you can try: If your Denon or projector has Y PbPr inputs, try connecting the Hopper to the Projector with those connectors. If HDCP is an issue, those will also be blank. But you might be able to see if the Hopper is actually outputting a signal via those connetions. Any 3 RCA style cables should work here. Not sure if the run length is a problem thhough.