Multiple bugs and issues with Hopper 3

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple bugs and issues with Hopper 3

Major Havoc
Visual Engineer

Hello Dish. I have been a DISH customer since day one because your set tops have been top notch. OK, the 922 was a pig, and so was the Microsoft WebTV. But they did not last long. Can't say that today.

The Hopper 3 is just awful, and keeps getting worse. The number of bugs on this box is unacceptable.

• Failing to record shows (yes, I have posted this over 1 year ago, and you still have not fixed it.)
  • Screen updates are SLOW SLOW SLOW! I am not sure why, but the time it takes to update screens is in 10's of seconds. Right now I am waiting over 30 seconds for a DVR program to show me the episodes recorded. 
  • The Joey is almost unusable it is so slow now. The software is so slow, it is annoying at best. 
  • Off Air tuners are still not handled properly. Just yesterday, again, you stopped recognizing one of the two tuners. To make it worse, because I was supposedly recording on an OTA channel, PTA did not record the program. Except, Tuner 2 on the OTA was black. No signal. 
  • OTA guide info is still non-existant on many channels. The data is there. How about filling it in when the tuners are not in use. I know you know how to do this, it worked on my DISH VideoPAL unit from a decade ago. 
  • There are WAY too many hangs and crashes. Especially with apps. 
  • The internet connection keeps failing on the set top. Yet, attached to the same hub, my Amazon Echo works just fine. I find myself resetting the internet connection at least twice a week. 
  • Bluetooth is iffy at best, and hardly goes 10 feet. 

I have more, but I am sure you have heard them all. PLEASE, get this box working well again. I just returned from a trip to Germany and Italy, and I was NEVER able to get to my DIsh Anywhere content (even with a VPN) and came home to find the unit off the network again, and half my programs no recorded. 

Feeling kind of ripped off right now. I pay a lot of money for a Hopper 3 and Joey, and they are total crap right now. 

16 Replies

Re: Multiple bugs and issues with Hopper 3

Major Havoc
Visual Engineer

Oh, just tried Dish Music. Opened the app, and the STB was switched away from my TV show to a Dish MUSIC screen. Then the app just sat and spun and spun and spun. (Samsung S8 with latest Android OS update.) 

Great, one more featurte that does not work. SIGH

DISH Employee

Are you using the remotes? Sometimes if you use the front panel while the batteries are low it will load at the right speed. DISH Anywhere is not guaranteed to work outside of the US, even with a VPN. The Hopper would also need to be connected to the internet for you to be able to watch live tv through DISH Anywhere. 

Once you open DISH Music are you able to progress past the start up screen or does it stay there? 

Major Havoc
Visual Engineer

Thanks for the feedback. 

My Dish receiver is high up on a shelf, so that is not a solution. That said, I climbed my butt up there. The response is the same, slow.  I also have 4 different remotes, put new batteries in all, and still no difference. Just had to check. 

I get Dish Anywhere not working outside the US, but I have trouble getting it workign on the same house. The unit IS connected (via CAT-5 cable) to the internet, but as I said, it drops the connection all the time. It requires a restart to make it come back, or manually resetting the internet. Can't do that when I am not at the house. FYI: Had no problem connecting to Dish Anywhere in Europe before these problems started. Used to work great. But per your comment, maybe the name should not include the word "Anywhere" then. 

On Dish Music, the Dish Screen goes to the logo. The app goes to the music page and then locks up. Sometimes AFTER starting a song and I can't stop it or change it. It is just very buggy right now.

Appreciate you checking back. Thanks. 

wrote:

Are you using the remotes? Sometimes if you use the front panel while the batteries are low it will load at the right speed. DISH Anywhere is not guaranteed to work outside of the US, even with a VPN. The Hopper would also need to be connected to the internet for you to be able to watch live tv through DISH Anywhere. 

Once you open DISH Music are you able to progress past the start up screen or does it stay there? 

Major Havoc
Visual Engineer

To give an example of slow: 

I press DVR. The DVR icons can take 6 to 8 seconds to show up. 

Then I select a program that has multiple recordings,

The screen changes fairly quickly, and then the green boxes scroll and scroll for what seems like a long time. Sometimes it can take up to 20 seconds or longer for the programs to show up. 

Another example is pressing menu. Sometimes that takes 5 to 10 seconds to appear. 

There are many more. 

This is not all the time, and is slower on the Joey by 20 to 30%. 

DISH Employee

What is the model number of the remote that you are using, such as a 40.0 or a 54.0? Also, access your Diagnostics screen. Is the remote battery level bar green? If you reduce the distance between the remote and the receiver, does that help?

Major Havoc
Visual Engineer

Hi LatishaR,

Why is it that customer service people believe customers are all idiots? And why is it that customer service people never read the entire thread before asking a question that has already been answered? 

Sorry for my annoyance, but I already said that I replace the batteries regularly, and that they were all replaced just to be sure, and it would be nice just once not to be considered an idiot when reporting a problem. Maybe we, as users, are actually seeing a problem? 

To your other question on remotes, I have tried several, my preference is the 40.0 remote: 

Remotes paired and tried:

50.0, (SS18 TP1b, Firmware E008T504ES52)

40.0 (SB05, Firmware E005F140E113)

52.0 (UM15, Firmware E009T504EM52)

I sit about 6 feet from the receiver, which is just behind the couch on top of a cabinet. I can see the antenna from where I sit. I do not think distance is an issue. I am similarly close on the Joey.

Can you explain to me why you believe a remote is the reason for the UI being slow? As I said before, the UI changes, and then is just very slow updating. That would indicate that the remote command was received and acted upon. I see no reason why the remote would slow down the rest of the UI update? 

I designed Set Tops for 10+ years, I never saw a case where the remote could slow down the UI repsone. I have seen the remote cause slow response to the button press. That is NOT the case here. In this case, the receiver is acting as if the processor is heavily loaded down with tasks and is taking a long time to respond. You know, like almost every computer does after several updates. Since there is no processor taks display, I cannot see what is happening inside. 

But my best guess here is that continued updates have added additional sofftware tasks that are loading down the processor. Maybe you should try looking there with your software teams rather than assume we as users are idiots and can't use the device properly. 

And I was going to post an image of my diagnostic screen here, but when I click the photo button and add the link to my image, your editor tells me I have invalid HTML and strips it out. So how does one add an image here?  

DISH Employee

Major Havoc, can you send me a Private Message with the phone number and 4 digit PIN on your account so that I can access your account?

Major Havoc
Visual Engineer

Done. Thank you

Joeyrub
Character Actor
I recently switched to Dish network. I bought s brand new hopper 3. And I HATE IT!!! It has to be the worst tv box I've ever had. Ok the features it has are kinda cool. But I'd give em all up just to have a stable DVR box, they doesn't restart at least 3 times a day!!!! Almost every time I use the multi view PIP, it ends up freezing and restarting. I HATE IT!!! And the only reason I keep having to mess with the multi view, is because you can't assign a tuner number to be used for recordings. So it always uses exactly the tuner I'm also watching the same channel on with a buffer so I can pause and rewind. But all of a sudden I realize it's using this timer for recording, so when the recording ends......it jumps back to live TV, and now I have no buffer. So can't rewind anything anymore!! So I have to keep the same channel I always watch running on 3 or 4 tuners with the multi view, so when this happens and a recording ruins my buffer, then I have to turn on the multi view, switch tuners to one that does have a buffer, and then!! Hope and pray that even I select it, it won't freeze and crash, I'd say its a 50/50 chance. And that's horrible!!!!!
So I have these 2 issues, combined! Making my life miserable!! 1, Te multi view picture in picture keeps crashing, and 2, can't select tuner to be used for recordings (or at least assign a tuner automatically THAT ISN'T BEING USED!!!! I have like 13 un used tuners! Why use the one in watching tv on???!!!! Dumb!