MAJOR Problem trying to record with H3

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAJOR Problem trying to record with H3

xfoneguy50
Audio Engineer
Ever since the update (to U500) last night, it appears that all of my recordings are being split into MANY segments.... I counted 13 segs in 1.5 hours on one recording. It looks like the longer the recording, the more likely it is to happen, and with more segments. What is going on????
6 Replies

Re: MAJOR Problem trying to record with H3

scotar
Audio Engineer
I guess I got U500 last night too. It is recording fine in one file.

RickObe
Visual Engineer
Mine seems to be recording properly too on U500.

peggyrh
Associate Producer
Mine is working OK too, sounds like your update corrupted something, I'd request a replacement H3 if it continues.

xfoneguy50
Audio Engineer
peggyrh wrote:
Mine is working OK too, sounds like your update corrupted something, I'd request a replacement H3 if it continues.

I'll have to - trying to watch anything i've recorded today is next to impossible. I just checked out a 1 hour episode of "Aerial America" - 13 segments, some less than 1 minute long - 2 minutes, 5 minutes.... 13 pieces totally less than the 60 minutes that it is supposed to be. This is a very strange one. And I just had this ^%$^ thing replaced a few months ago.

DISH Employee
xfoneguy50 wrote:
peggyrh wrote:

I'll have to - trying to watch anything i've recorded today is next to impossible. I just checked out a 1 hour episode of "Aerial America" - 13 segments, some less than 1 minute long - 2 minutes, 5 minutes.... 13 pieces totally less than the 60 minutes that it is supposed to be. This is a very strange one. And I just had this ^%$^ thing replaced a few months ago.

A partial reset may help resolve this issue of the receiver recording in increments, by clearing any temporary files stored on the receiver and then re-downloading new ones. Timers and recordings are not impacted by a Partial Reset. The process typically takes 20 minutes but can take up to 60 minutes.

To perform the partial reset, you would need to go to Diagnostics screen by pressing menu twice then selecting Tools on the left hand side of the screen, reset to factory defaults, then partial reset.

xfoneguy50
Audio Engineer
Thank you for the suggestion. Although I have actually used the "Partial Reset " option in the past, I could have easily missed that "in the heat of the moment".

In addition to the recordings issue, there are now several other significant problems:

1) While watching a program, the screen will randomly go black and the remote becomes totally non-functional. When this happens, the program we are watching typically becomes a "thumbnail" in the upper right corner of the screen.

2) The system hangs and there seems to be no way out (other than another the usual "reboot" of course).

3) If I try to view my "trash" (recordings), the screen just flips back to the main DVR view without ever actually going to the "trash bin".

4) Looking at a list of timers, the "SCHEDULED" button does nothing. The tab for that displays a completely empty screen with no text whatsoever.

5) If I try to "rewind" a program, sometimes the Hopper will change channels and we go from watching a recording to watching a "Live" channel.

As I said, all of these problems seem to be random and I never know when (or even if) I can duplicate them at any given time.

Our only other option(s) at this point seem to be Netflix and/or DVD's - that is if we want to watch something at any particular time. "Live" TV seems to work OK, but then it seems like we were paying for a DVR (as in Digital Video Recorder) for some reason (I think, maybe??)

There are those who think that I need to "quit whining" and "be patient". That I shouldn't expect the ability to record our programs on a regular basis.

Apparently being able to record any program is actually just a [b:32dfewov]luxury [/b:32dfewov]and not something that I should expect? (Even though I'm fairly certain that this is what I was originally paying for?).

Anyway, I'm not sure where to go from here. I've tried contacting several "techs" now and every one of them wants me to just "wait" while this is "referred to the engineering department"?? though sending me a replacement would seem to be a simple, quick, and very likely [b:32dfewov]effective[/b:32dfewov].

But in the meantime, this is not working for us - for all practical purposes, we have NO Dish right now. It seems like it would be so easy to send me a replacement H3 but then, maybe I'm missing something. I am seriously considering purchasing my own Hopper, as they are available online for just a little over $200 at places like Amazon.com - and regardless of whatever else I might say, I really [b:32dfewov]do [/b:32dfewov]like Dish and do not want to leave. But I thought I was actually PAYING for this kind of thing?