Loss of Signal & Program Guide Everyday

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of Signal & Program Guide Everyday

stevemcches
Extra
Almost everyday when I turn the receiver (722k) I get the Total Signal Loss screen. The green bar screen will come on saying it is acquiring the signal. Once the green bar is complete it will say Complete Signal Loss.

If I take off main cable to the three way splitter or play around with the three cables that go to the receiver, then I can get the green bar screen to come on again (if I don't do this, then I get the Complete Signal Loss) then after it acquires the signal, then it has to Download the Program Guide. All off this can take up to 20 minutes before the receiver starts working again. It's a pain to have to do this every day. If I turn the receiver off, then everything seems to work for the rest of the day. It just seems to do this the next day when the receiver is turned on for the first time.

Any idea how to get this to stop so I get reception without playing with the cables each day? The cables are tight and nothing has changed from when it's turned off until the next day when it's turned on again.

Thanks for any help!
22 Replies

Re: Loss of Signal & Program Guide Everyday

DISH Employee
If possible, could you try replacing the cables with other ones to see if that changes anything? Acquiring signal and the guide download can be expected once it performs the nightly update, but it shouldn't require you moving the cables around.

stevemcches
Extra
So the program guide gets downloaded/updated every night?

I'll look at all the cables and see what I can do.

webnut1234
Character Actor

In the past 2 weeks I have also encountered the loss of signal & program guide more times than not but only overnight. When turning on the receiver the next morning I get lost signal error, using the reset button and unplugging did not fix the lost signal. Green bars never fill in on screen.   But when I undid the coax cable from sat input 1 and directly used the main feed cable from the spliting device and connect to sat1 on the receiver it will then proceed to aquire signal and download the program guide. I then reconnect all cables and everthing works fine all day long for both sat1 & sat2 tuners. I kind of thought the DPP Pro Sat separator might be the culprit so I ordered a new device on ebay,  it made no difference, problem still occurs after overnight.  Some programming schedule recording is done at night but not sure if that has any bearing on this odd problem. Could it be the Sat updates that occur during early morning hours is a problem?.  Don't have any clue.  My receiver is the VIP722K DVR.

DISH Employee

You shouldn't be having to disconnect and re-connect the cabling to get the signal to work. We definitely want to get this resolved.

Were you able to check the coax cables to see if any were noticeably damaged, or if the conductors on the ends of the coax were bent or missing?

webnut1234
Character Actor

I thank you for the reply. I did look at all the cable ends, the only one not changed out is the main feed. I should probably shorten it a bit and put a new compression fitting on the end to rule that out as the next step.  Luckily I have the tool and fitting to use.

DISH Employee

We can have a technician come out and take a look at the equipment and cables for you if you'd like. Or, if you want to go ahead and try that first and contact us back if it didn't fix the problem, that's fine also. 

webnut1234
Character Actor

Put a new fitting on the main feed cable, next morning same problem- no signal. I am now thinking since the receiver turns off (or goes into some low power mode overnight) it cools down and some component inside the receiver is not working until it heats up.  This time I did not touch any of the coax cables and just did the typical red button reset and unplugging a few times. Then the unit started to aquire signal and downloaded the program guide 20 minutes later.  I called tech support and by the time they got on the line the system was already downloading so they could not troubleshoot.  I was told they need me to be on the phone with them when the unit is in error code. 31-12-45 & 31-11-45  Guess I will need to try again tomorrow or buy a receiver.

DISH Employee

I can take a look at your equipment and this error. Will you send me a Private Message with your account/phone number and 4 digit security code, please?

girlwander
Extra

Hi - Just logging on to see if there is something going on with the satellite for the last two days? 

Loss of signal when I turn it on in the morning. No problems when I turn it on in the evening.

Located in northern California. Thanks.