Locals feature request

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locals feature request

tmcmsail
Extra
Give the locals really jack up the costs, perhaps you can try something. This will take some time and development, but I think it is possible.
1.) Enable an off-air antenna to be plugged into the back of the hopper. This can even be a Dish supplied inside HD antenna.
2.) Enable the guide to list the times and shows for the local channels (this may not cover the alternate HD channels, only the core local channels - but that should be OK for this to work).
3.) Allow the DVR to record the locals off the HD antenna.

In the end, your customers get the same service for a much lower cost.

If you can do that, I would keep my larger channel selection and drop the locals package and save money without losing any service. Is that a possible thing to do? I'll be if you do that, you can drop thousands of customers from your list of locals you need to pay them to carry.
Tags (3)
5 Replies

Re: Locals feature request

peggyrh
Associate Producer
With a Dish adapter you can record the locals OTA now (if you have them available in your area). Been available for quite a while, but not everyone can get locals with an antenna.

Roadijeff
Audio Engineer
tmcmsail, you can already connect an OTA antenna to the back of the Hopper. I have one on my Hopper 3 and I get over 30 extra channels from it. Many of the channels show the program info in the Dish Guide but not all. However, you can still record them.

One of the problems is if you have an OTA antenna and you want to cancel the locals through Dish you then lose the program info for them, at least that's how it works for me. I have to pay the extra $10/mo if I want to keep that.

tmcmsail
Extra
I have the Hopper with Sling - the only coax I see (other than the one from the dish) is the remote antenna. Is that what you replaced with a powered HD antenna?

RickObe
Visual Engineer
tmcmsail wrote:
I have the Hopper with Sling - the only coax I see (other than the one from the dish) is the remote antenna. Is that what you replaced with a powered HD antenna?

The antenna connects to an adapter that plugs into the USB port.

Roadijeff
Audio Engineer
tmcmsail wrote:

Something like the adapter below. The antenna cable screws onto the coax end and the USB plugs into the Hopper. I have one of these connected to my Hopper 3, bought off Amazon.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/1aUA5uosyl4W2xTSnUOFOm4-8qVnPcnevKsWrNekSUwbS-akLm-z77KA33tgzn8o4B...