Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local channel descriptions missing - Primary only

Xyzzy
Character Actor
Hopper with Sling.
Dual OTA adapter.

After dropping Dish locals, the program guide only displays the OTA stations' call sign for the main channels (xx-1). The sub-channels ( xx-2, xx-3, etc) display proper descriptions. Local channels that are not part of the Dish local package all display fine. Anyone else seeing this behavior?

Also, the effected main channels do not show up at all when accessing the guide through Dish Anywhere. Sub-channels are properly displayed along with descriptions.

Thanks
9 Replies

Re: Local channel descriptions missing - Primary only

scotar
Audio Engineer
If you don't subscribe to locals you will not get guide data for OTA stations. The sub station guide data should eventually drop.

Xyzzy
Character Actor
Dish mailed an offer to install an OTA antenna and save the $10/month fee for locals. I called and asked if it would effect the guide listing and was assured it would not. Since it has obviously effected the guide, I called again. The tech opened a session on the Hopper, confirmed the problem, and submitted it to Engineering. I called a few days ago and was told by a tech that there were nearly 1k reports on the issue. That's not a large number relatively, so I'm reaching out to the community for information.

Dish wants to shed the locals. So their priority should be to correct the issue. In the older boxes with built in OTA tuners, guide data was provided if you subscibed to Dish Magazine. At that time, I called on the issue and once I accepted the subscription, voila, guide data. Again, they would like everyone posible on OTA, so I expect a fix.

I'm just curious if anyone is experiencing the specific issue I described.

Thanks,
Mike

hddn
Visual Engineer
It used to be, if you didn't subscribe to locals, you didn't get guide data. However, for a long time now, I've heard of people dropping locals from the Flex package and still having the guide data. I don't recall seeing a statement as to whether this was Dish policy or just the way it happened to function currently.

It does seem that with the locals asking for more and more, it would be in Dish's interest to make OTA as convenient as possible.

PCHearn
Camera Crew
When I switched to Flex several months ago, I was told that I could drop the locals and save $10 per month. I did that and immediately lost the local channel guide information. I called Dish and was told "NO, you don't get the local guide information unless you pay the $10 per month." So I had them sign me up for the local channels and got the local guide information. Then I read on this forum that several other people had dropped the local channels and still had the local guide information. So a couple of weeks ago, I called in and dropped the local channels again. And I immediately lost the local guide information again. So I had them sign me up for the local channels and got the local guide information. I don't know what Dish's policy is, but I know for a FACT what happens when I drop the local channels.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
There are exceptions all over the net but what was described on another forum by a DIRT member was that yes, it requires a subscription.

scotar
Audio Engineer
Dish network is not giving anything away. Think about it, they have to pay for the local guide data that they supply to us.

If people are still getting some guide data after cancelling locals then they are experiencing some kind of software glitch.

Dish network isn't giving you s**t!

Xyzzy
Character Actor
Thanks for the responses folks.

I receive 74 OTA channels. All, main and subs, display descriptions in the guide except the handful of mains associated with the Dish local packge. I have talked with two Dish techs who opened a session on the Hopper, viewed the issue and acknowledged it was not correct, forwarding it to "Engineering". One tech confirmed my suspension that the reason for the push to OTA was due to the cost to Dish in providing locals. It does seem odd that they would push the idea of $10 savings, dispatch an installer, provide a dual adapter&antenna, and then punish the customer with no guide data. I'm gonna hang in for a while to see what happens. The second tech I spoke with said the issue was active. Blowing smoke? .... Hope not...

Mike

Xyzzy
Character Actor
Have had several interchanges with Dish on the issue including a visit by a field tech today. ALL agree that this is not the way it should be. Apparently the rollout of stand-alone OTA locals is presently in the Northeast. I'm told this is a known issue. I have a ticket number and intend on keeping it an open issue and posting any updates.

Major Havoc
Audio Engineer

NOTE: This post is supposed to have two images which are hosted on a image service. I have tried at least 10 times to include the photo. When I do that, using the photo button in the editor, and then post, the website tells me that I have illegal HTML and strips the images out of the post.  Hey Dish, why does everything you touch lately turn to crap? Why can't you make your website work so we can post simple images? This is truly sad. Sorry people, there should be images, but I cannot seem to get them to be included. 

---------------------------

I have been complainging about this for maybe 2 years now. Even with paid local service, there are many channels which do not have program data. BUT the local guide data is included in almost all OTA streams. There is about 8+ hours of guide data FOR FREE over the air. Of the 75+ OTA channels I can receive, most of them have guide data WHEN VIEWED ON MY TV! BUT NOT ON MY DISH Receiver.

I also have an older digital set without a tuner. I purchased a device from Dish 8 years ago (2008). This box, which has no network connection, has an on-screen guide that looks very much like the older Dish satellite set top's guide. ALL the data is collected over the air, and I get about 8 to 10 hours of guide data for all OTA channels. Some channels do not include data, so they are blank other than the channel name. This is a box that is 8 years old, and obviously Dish knew how to get that data then, but why not now. Especially now that they have a dual channel OTA tuner. They can easily program the receiver to use an unused OTA tuner to populate the guide once every 6 hours or so. No excuse. 

Dish PAL Guide image 

Note channels 002-04 and 002-03 both have data while 002-02 does not have data. Also note that the description of the Match Game which was on 002-04 is also filled in. 

Dish Hopper Guide Image

Here is the Hopper-3 guide taken about 1 minute later. Note that channels 002-02, 002-03, and 002-04 have no data at all, just a channel description for every hour, which is inaccurate. Also note that the description (or lack of) of the show currently playing is empty.

WHY?