Leased DVR's

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leased DVR's

webelder
Costume Designer
I have had my service and the VIP722K DVR for about 10 years. I do not plan to leave Dishtv anytime soon,but was wondering..if when I eventually do leave Dishtv..if I will be allowed to purchase the VIP722K DVR on which I have hundreds of tv shows saved...and at what price considering it is 10 years old...?? Any help with this question...?
11 Replies

Re: Leased DVR's

DISH Employee
Can you send a private message with your account/phone number and 4 digit PIN?

webelder
Costume Designer
Actually no...I am new here and would not feel secure in sharing this information with anybody when I do not know who I am dealing with.. I only need an answer to the question..which is will Dishtv sell me the used DVR unit in the furture...?? Sorry,nothing personal...just being carefull....

peggyrh
Associate Producer

Names in orange are Dish employees, it's safe to send them a private message (pm), just select their name.

Community Manager
Community Manager
webelder wrote:
I have had my service and the VIP722K DVR for about 10 years. I do not plan to leave Dishtv anytime soon,but was wondering..if when I eventually do leave Dishtv..if I will be allowed to purchase the VIP722K DVR on which I have hundreds of tv shows saved...and at what price considering it is 10 years old...?? Any help with this question...?

We do not have an option to purchased receivers after leaving our service.

webelder
Costume Designer
Thank You. Maybe DishTV should look into such an option.....

hddn
Visual Engineer
It's an interesting question from Dish's standpoint as to whether it's better to sell you a user DVR or leave you with an incentive to stay with Dish. I'm guessing Dish generally prefers the latter unless the price for the DVR is quite high.

On the other hand, you've got a hard disk that has been spinning for 10 years. Someone recently complained about losing all her shows on a DVR of similar age and Dish's response was that a disk in a DVR is only expected to last 4 or 5 years anyway. So… how much would you want to pay to keep shows that Dish says could naturally/randomly go poof any day now?

webelder
Costume Designer
Not a high price for sure...thats why I said "considering it is almost 10 years old". This is why I would have thought DishTV might be willing to sell it...since why would they want a 10 year old DVR back..? Its not like they could send it out to a new customer....I would be willing to bet that they would just trash it when they got it back...might as well let the loyal customers buy it and use it till it drops.....

webelder
Costume Designer
I'm sure I paid for it a long time ago...they should let me keep it for FREE...lol!

hddn
Visual Engineer
Dish can just put a new disk in it. The electronics should be good for many years.