Lease Hopper 3 + Wireless Joey?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lease Hopper 3 + Wireless Joey?

afriedma
Character Actor
We have had the same receiver (Solo VIP 612) for nearly 10 years, and are now looking at adding a 2nd TV to our house. Is it worth the $100 upgrade to go for a Hopper 3, and the extra cost for a wireless access point, to get a wireless Joey?

From looking at this forum, it appears that pre-Hopper 3 receivers are too slow, but I also see complaints about the Hopper 3 being 'buggy'. It will be hard to get coax to our 2nd TV, so a wireless Joey seems like an attractive choice, but I also see forum users having problems with that unit as well.

The other alternative would be to just get a 2-set receiver, such as the Duo VIP 722k.

Any help would be appreciated!
13 Replies

Re: Lease Hopper 3 + Wireless Joey?

peggyrh
Associate Producer
a 722 only has one HD out, the other is SD, it's out of date & probably not what you want. Only way to get HD on each tv is with a Hopper/Joey setup.

tommyy2
Audio Engineer
peggyrh wrote:
a 722 only has one HD out, the other is SD, it's out of date & probably not what you want. Only way to get HD on each tv is with a Hopper/Joey setup.

Or 2 722's?

Chadt41411
Casting Director
That would be more expensive with less features. $15+$7=$22 compared to $15+$17=$32. That would be a terrible route to go.

afriedma
Character Actor
I see complaints in this forum that the Hopper 3 is 'buggy', i.e. doesn't always record the shows that were designated. At the same time, it looks like the Hopper 3 is much faster in displaying the channel guide. Likewise, I see some complaints that the wireless Joey doesn't always connect to the Hopper.

I've seen enough online Tech forums to know that they tend to overemphasize problems (after all, that is where users go to resolve problems). Still, I will have to sink some bucks in fees to get this hardware installed, and then will be obligated for 24 months of payments after that. I would be pretty unhappy if the Hopper/Joey setup proved to be troublesome.

Thanks again!
Al F.

peggyrh
Associate Producer
Most of us have had the Hopper 3 & Joey's for more than a year with no issues at all, mine have not been buggy & are on for hours everyday. You're right, most of what you read on a forum are complaints, so it's difficult to know just how many customers are satisfied with theirs - it's also safe to assume some of the problems are due to not understanding how to use the equipment/software.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
I have had the H3 since day 1, and the only issue I have had with mine is an internet issue that was actually in my home network. After placing the Hopper in a DMZ, the issue completely resolved itself. Recordings have been fine, and so has my Wireless Joey. Also, my OTA works as well... my kids or fiancée have it on all day every day, so definitely gets its use.

hartbow
Camera Crew
What is a DMZ?

stile99
Cinematographer
Quick and easy answer, it's a setting on your router.

Slightly longer answer, it's telling your router not to filter/firewall traffic to a specific IP address/range, all ports are open. Commonly referred to as a DMZ or DeMilitarized Zone

Short version of the long, complicated answer: Google can tell you how to do this with your specific router.

hartbow
Camera Crew
Ok thanks.