Joey showing a Warning 981. Hopper works fine.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joey showing a Warning 981. Hopper works fine.

carlsalonen
Character Actor

I woke up this morning to a Warning 981 screen on my Joey. The Hopper is fine. I immediately contacted Customer Service at 7:30AM EDT, and had a chat with one of the agents who suggested I unplug the Joey and plug it back in. 

Unfortunately, I got the same error message. More unfortunate, I was disconnected from the chat and when I tried to log back in, I was told I'd need to wait nearly an hour. So this raises a few issues for me:

1) What's the point of customer service that doesn't service customers? Some people have to work and to ask them to wait an hour in the morning as they are getting ready to go to work is not servicing your customers.

2) I'm going to want a new Joey at this point. And I'll want a tech to come install it. 

3) You have a dead link on the MyDish page that refers people to the old forums, while not redirecting here. It took me three tries to figure out where i needed to go to post this complaint.

4) In the past, DISH has had monitors patrolling these boards to help with responses. Why do I get the feeling I'm not going to see that here?

5) I've had DISH for nearly thirty years. This is the worst service I've ever had from them. It's "cable TV" bad. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Joey showing a Warning 981. Hopper works fine.

Community Manager
Community Manager

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and appreciate your patience while our team identified a solution.  The issue will automatically resolve overnight but you can also update the software on your Joey immediately.  Please visit www.mydish.com/support/981 to view the step by step solution on how to update the software. 

45 Replies

Cooper8504
Extra

Have had almost an identical experience, except I’m unable to get through via chat, and the phone method quoted a 54minute wait time. I’ve been on hold for exactly 54 minutes, and honestly not expect8ng anyone to ever pick up. Odd that they define this as “customer service”....

DizzyBreath
Character Actor
It's now a known issue with the Joey 1.0. They are working on a fix. It's super frustrating. It's not affecting the Joey 2.0 or 3.0.

(it's been nearly an hour)Re: Joey showing a Warning 981. Hopper works fine.

mrstut
Extra

I have the exact same problem!!! How long is it suppose to take for the reboot? (it's been nearly an hour)

Re: (it's been nearly an hour)Re: Joey showing a Warning 981. Hopper works fine.

DizzyBreath
Character Actor
They don't have an ETA for the fix but with as many people having an issue, I wouldn't think it would take too long.

Re: (it's been nearly an hour)Re: Joey showing a Warning 981. Hopper works fine.

markybme
Extra

Exactly same issue; been waiting for nearly an hour as well.

mrstut
Extra

Called customer service, waited 48 minutes and then they said too many calls and they hung up on me!  UGG!

Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for letting us know about this issue!  Our team is diligently working to fix the 981 Boot Recovery error on the Joey 1.0 and will have a solution for you as soon as possible.  Please visit www.mydish.com/support/981 for the latest updates.  In the meantime, you can continue watching TV from your Hopper.

Marilyn
Extra
Our joey has had the warning 981 for over 4 hours. Contacted dish they say they are aware and its a serious problem.

Community Manager
Community Manager

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and appreciate your patience while our team identified a solution.  The issue will automatically resolve overnight but you can also update the software on your Joey immediately.  Please visit www.mydish.com/support/981 to view the step by step solution on how to update the software.