Is there a cure for Florida thunderstorm signal loss?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a cure for Florida thunderstorm signal loss?

kc1ih
Character Actor
I've now lived in the Tampa area for about a year. What I found after I moved here last year is to expect when we get the almost daily tropical downpours in the summer that I loose service on Dish. The technical people had me check the signal level on a sunny day and they told me my levels were fine and this says that nothing is wrong. I should mention I'm using a VIP-612 and the installer said I'm on the eastern arch.

Does anyone know of a way to prevent or at least minimize this problem. I'm wondering if a larger dish would help, or perhaps a signal amplifier?

Thanks for your help.
6 Replies

Re: Is there a cure for Florida thunderstorm signal loss?

Things like light rain should not have signal go out but heavier storms can. When someone says "storm" I assume the weather is pretty rough, so there is likely nothing we can do.
---------------------------------
Matt "Speedy" Gonzales | Moderator

d4g4m
Visual Engineer
When you watch weather radar and see orange and especially red blobs approaching, you WILL lose signal.
Is there a cure to not lose signal? Yes there is. Install a dish the size that Comcast uses.

kc1ih
Character Actor
I doubt the HOA would allow that. As I read the rules they only allow dishes up to one meter.

Jianna143
Character Actor
Although everyone who works for Dish says you won't lose service unless it's a heavy thunderstorm, I've been with Dish for over 10 years and it goes out every single time it starts raining. It usually comes back in a minute or two unless it's a thunderstorm, then it stays out until it lightens up. Yes, I've complained. Yes, they've come to adjust the dish. Yes, they say it won't go out for light rain. But it does.

hddn
Visual Engineer
I've lost signal perhaps twice in 17 years. I'm in the pacific northwest where it rains a LOT, but maybe our rain is of a different nature. Actual thunderstorms are fairly rare here.

d4g4m
Visual Engineer
^^^^^
You can be in an area where it rains all day and never lose signal, as long as the rain is in the light green, dark green range. It usually doesn't rain all day in Florida. We usually get storms, some violent with hail. When weather radar shows yellow, red and sometimes purple just southwest of our dishes, signal will be lost until it passes. And sometimes it can be 20 minutes. People using the east arc sats have much less signal loss because not many storms approach S/W FL from the southeast.