Is The Hopper 3 Really That Great?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is The Hopper 3 Really That Great?

wvricky2
Costume Designer
I know nothing about the Hopper 3 aside from the promotional hype. Faster processor, 16 tuners, has youtube, less prone to software bugs, etc. Most Hopper 3 users seem to be relatively pleased. But it does appear that some subscribers are unhappy with the UI and the bugs that are still there. The much faster processor helps ease the sting, apparently. I might be willing to try the Hopper 3, but I sure as heck will not pay any upfront $100.00 upgrade fee. That is what one of the D.I.R.T. members told me that I would have to pay in a PM. I have an offer in an E-mail from the DISH loyalty department for a totally free upgrade, with no upfront fees, no AutoPay, no truck or service fees, no installation charge. And a lot of you claim to have gotten free upgrades and the new or extended 24 month contractual agreement that accompanies the Hopper 3. But perhaps the grass is just as green if I reduce my DISH package substantially and do away with the Protection Plan. I could always add it when I needed it, understanding that I must keep it for at least 6 months or pay a $30.00 ETF. If I have any conditions wrong, I am sure some one will correct my error or errors. Not saying I definitely will not try the Hopper 3, but is it worth a 24 month contract? Heck, I may have one next week. Or, maybe not.
5 Replies

Re: Is The Hopper 3 Really That Great?

Chadt41411
Casting Director
Yes, the Hopper3 is that much better.

peggyrh
Associate Producer
The Hopper 3 has been working great for over a yr & a half for me. Just understand that user interface on H3 is the same as what is now on older Hoppers so getting the better H3 won't change that - but it will be faster & have more tuners, etc.

jimgreen1972
Camera Crew
its super buggy to the point that it barely does the basics well.. as far as the bells and whistles, ie. home media.. those are currently broken with no fix in sight..

peggyrh
Associate Producer
Many don't use the home media feature so it's not a problem, they don't even know what it is. Like I said, not everyone uses the H3 the same way so many will not experience the same issues as others.
If yours is "buggy" might want to see about getting it replaced, I watch mine daily & it's been solid since 2/16.

skoy2016
Costume Designer
I think Hopper 3 is superior to old models. Especially, 16 tuners. No more conflicts unless you record so many at the same time. If your two year agreement will end fairly soon, you might want to wait and ask for the latest equipment. Or, go ahead and take advantage of what royalty dept is offering. Just like Directv, Dish will try to keep its customers as long as what they demand is reasonable.