cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Intermittent (Frequent) Hopper Restart

GA_Dish
Character Actor

This might well be covered elsewhere--if so, my apologies. I have a new (< 1 wk) installation. I get an intermittent loss of input ( blue screen of death [BSOD] with 'no HDMI input' for a few seconds, followed by the Hopper "starting" screen...usually this all lasts about 60 seconds and then the TV returns to whatever channel it was on. Occasionally it does this multiple times in a row. This has been happening randomly, but usually at least once in any given hour, and sometimes every few minutes. I do not typically get an error code.

More rarely, the display has frozen, but the channel guide can still be pulled up. I can switch to a different channel, but then the dispay is nothing: like the TV is off. Eventually, it says, "please wait-refresh in progress." Then I get the BSOD and a restart. Sometimes after this, it does another restart fairly soon.

Then I have also gotten a 1599 system check at odd times. When I shut my system down, everything goes off--ie, no power to the Hopper at all. So it wouldn't surprise me if it does the system check at some point after restarting, but my understanding from other threads is that it should happen within the first hour after turning it back on: mine doesn't do that; it's at a random time that might be 2 hours later (for example, last night the system was powered on at about 4:45 pm and the system check happened around 6:35 pm).

I have un- and replugged the HDMI cables and all of the other checks on the troubleshooting page for loss of signal seem fine. Any thoughts?

7 Replies

Re: Intermittent (Frequent) Hopper Restart

GA_Dish
Character Actor

Here's some more detail.  Signal strength is listed as 72 / 61.5, and the history tab in diagnostics reveals 5 power restarts (when I've turned it off and back on) and 19 internal. System and hard drive status show ok, but I did have another restart sequence while checking all of this.  The 'issues' tab says none.

Also, FWIW, the receiver is on a shelf on my TV stand, but it is open: not in an area with restricted airflow.

DISH Employee

It does sound like your box i restarting more often than i should GA_Dish, I do want to clarify something though.  You mention when you shut your system down the Hopper has no power.  Are you doing this daily, is it your normal process?  How are you shutting the system down exactly?

GA_Dish
Character Actor

Thanks for the quick reply.  I have it on a power strip and cut the power to both it and the TV.  One of the troubleshooting recommendations is to plug it directly into the wall, which I have done earlier in the week, without any apparent effect.  So the norm in the week I have had it is that when not in use, it is the same as if it is unplugged.  I can try leaving it powered when turned off if you think that might be a factor.

Internal restarts are now up to about 24.  I updated the software to the most current version, which is U625, dated 5/26/19.  Interestingly, during the rather long update process, it did not reboot.  After that, it rebooted again about 5 minutes after returning to normal operations.

I'm trying to find a way to check the internal temp to see if it might be a heat issue, but while this capability used to exist, I can't find a list of temps now.  Is it still possible to display the high/low/average temps from the settings menu somehow?

DISH Employee

Well it sounds like you have a Hopper Duo, and the box is definiteyl rebooting itself. Typically we do want the receiver to stay connected to power because that way it can do nighly updates and download new program guide information while in standby mode.  That said, having it not be under power should not cause it to have rebooting issues.

For additional insight there are two scenarios that will cause the 1599 message to appear.  The first is the reciever completing it's nightly update/software update.  It will run the check after this just to make sure everything updated smoothly.  The second is if the receiver becomes stuck in a reboot loop, it tries to run the system check as a means fo self correction.

If plugging the Hopper Duo directly into the wall, and leaving it in standby with power, is having no impact after a day or two I would contact our technical support teams and see about potentially replacing that Duo.  To be absolutely sure you could try moving the Duo to a different outlet for power, but that isn't a feasible test for most customers.

Edit: Also,  there is no way to check the internal tempature on the receiver as a customer.  That said, it is monitored, and if the internal temperature becomes unsafe there is a specific error message the Hopper will report.  If that message appears it will include the current internal temp as part of the error.

GA_Dish
Character Actor

Thanks, Jason, and it is a Hopper Duo.  I noticed that in the History submenu under diagnostics, it is reporting 0 heat, hard drive, or signal notifications: so none of those appear to be an issue.  I'll try leaving it hooked up overnight for a couple of days and then contact tech support.

It has now done an internal reset 27 times, so it's happening probably every 30 minutes on average. 

DISH Employee

Thanks for the additional info!  If it continues afte this last attempt I would definitely advise getting the Hopper Duo swapped for a new one.

GA_Dish
Character Actor

It has reset another 11 times since I switched the power:  I don't think I need to wait another day to monitor it--I'll contact tech support to see if I can get another unit.  Thanks for your assistance!