cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Interface Upgrade- Feedback

theKiwi
Camera Crew
rjterry21 wrote:
Lost EHD option and not showing on account - need this back to move recordings, including those already on the EHD, and I'm not paying another activation fee

I hope that this is all that has happened, rather than what happened to me - my external hard drive was fine until the update.

The update has made it unreadable by my DVR, and when I connect it to the DVR now after restarting the DVR, I get told it needs to be formatted for use with this DVR.

I complained about this some weeks ago, and was told that it was a known issue, and had happened to other people too, and she took my details along with my insistence that they get some code into the DVR that would in effect run fsck on my drive and fix it - so far nothing has changed, and I'm pretty annoyed about this whole situation.

I'm not so annoyed about the update - it's frustrating, but usable on my Hopper with Sling, but the lost of about 1.5TB of saved recordings is a a huge aggravation.

Roger

smkohler12
Extra
I've had my eye on this forum ever since my Hopper with sling became difficult to use after the update. I would check in to see if others had posted any updates with fixes or good news from Dish, but mostly what I saw were angry folks with genuine issues not being resolved. My Joey units were miserable to try and use.

Instead of being another angry voice, I simply called Dish and chose the option to cancel service. I bypassed customer service completely (many here went that route with frustration that they were given limited options). I was ready to switch to Comcast (have it at my place of business for many years without a single issue) or Directv (as a Costco member there were a lot of great incentives even with combining with ATT cell service). I thought I would either end the call happy or switch to either of the other services- no down side. Well, the person I spoke with at Dish was probably the nicest person I have ever dealt with. I explained why I was unhappy, explained my other options and asked if there were any options he could provide besides cancelling service. Without any reservation he simply said I can have a guy out there in 2 days to update to the Hopper 3 and new Joey units at no cost and no obligation. He understood what I was saying and offered what I was hoping for. He said if I still didn't like it, I could cancel the service and not be out anything. He said on top of that, if it did work out and I liked the new equipment, if I wanted to sign a new 2 year agreement I could get the new customer deals. There was no hard sell, he genuinely wanted me to be happy customer. He went through the packages for me and asked about channels we watched to see if he could save me even more in case I was in a package that I didn't need.

Folks, please try this route if you are frustrated. A bit of advice though, if you call- be prepared to state calmly what you have a problem with and be NICE. Some of these folks probably get angry calls all day and they likely appreciate not being yelled at. Being nice goes a long way, just human nature.

Re: Seek and Record: BRING IT BACK!

rasouza
Camera Crew
I'm missing the Seek and Record feature as well. I having a particularly hard time setting timers for sports events. The World Track and Field Championships start tomorrow. Previously, I could just enter "track and field" in the Seek and Record option and all would be recorded. Now I can't even set up a timer because, for some reason, the DVR thinks all sporting events are the same (according to Customer Svc). I've been reduced to scanning through the guide day by day and setting up a single timer for each event.

The strange thing is that setting timers on the same stations - like NBC - work fine. Really frustrating.

rasouza
Camera Crew
rasouza wrote:
stile99 wrote:
rasouza wrote:
He suggested that a Hopper 3 would solve most of the other issues I had and offered me a free installation. And now I'm a happy camper. I plan to keep following up to get my features back. That's all I needed. If I had received this response initially you would have never heard from me.

You did receive this response initially. This was your reaction:

rasouza wrote:
I refuse to believe that my system is running slower because I have an "older Hopper". It's the interface that is slow.

Now you say you upgraded as advised and you're a happy camper. But I don't understand, does your "newer Hopper" not have the same interface? Did you get a different one from the rest of us? Can I try it out too?

There are three problem areas - slow response time, bugs/inconsistent performance, and features that are no longer available. It's still hard for me to accept that the slow response time is entirely going to be fixed by a new Hopper. We'll see. I was mainly pissed that the response I was getting was that it was MY problem. Once I got an acknowledgement that there were issues and Dish is working on them I was willing to at least try the option of new hardware - plus a free installation. I'm not really a "happy camper", more like a worn out, defeated camper.

OK. Now I've been using the "upgrade" on the Hopper 3 for about a month. Most of the issues I was concerned about were resolved somewhat by the new Hopper 3. But even with the improvements, this "upgrade" leaves a lot to be desired. I had to laugh when I pulled up this thread to see the continuing pages of dissatisfied users who, like me, had been very happy previously. And still, Dish is only doing the minimum to try to make the problems go away. Now my ire has turned to the terrible search and timer setting functions. I also hate how many clicks it takes to delete an program after viewing. And what does "Record future airing" mean? There is also a particularly frustrating bug when trying to record sports events. Try to set a timer for the World Track and Field Championships. You can't. I've been reduced to scanning daily through the guide to find each segment. All of this would be moot if the Seek and Record feature were available. Oh, and telling someone who just "upgraded" that the 4X FWD has been gone since Feb means nothing. We all had the 4FWD feature until the change over - most of us just recently.

peggyrh
Casting Director
Actually 4x has been gone since Feb of 2016, that's a year and a half ago. The current interface has been in use on Hopper 3 since it's release in early 2016, so don't expect those features to come back.

theKiwi
Camera Crew
peggyrh wrote:
Actually 4x has been gone since Feb of 2016, that's a year and a half ago. The current interface has been in use on Hopper 3 since it's release in early 2016, so don't expect those features to come back.

I had it until just a few short weeks ago when my "Hopper with Sling" was upgraded - so it's only been gone for a few short weeks. I'm still trying to teach myself that I only need 3 presses to get to 300x not 4 presses...

Roger

peggyrh
Casting Director
Safe to assume that Dish wants it the way it now is, they've had more than a yr & a half to add those features back if they were going to. Just because it was recently pushed to your Hopper doesn't mean other customers haven't been using it for a while. I manually installed it on my neighbors Hopper w/Sling at least 6 months ago & they barely noticed the difference. Customers use their dvr differently so it affects some people more than others.

stxisbest
Costume Designer
by smkohler12
"He said if I still didn't like it, I could cancel the service and not be out anything."

Hope you got that in writing or taped---

New UI slow on older Hoppers

crimewatcher
Costume Designer
Dish rammed the new interface down our throats. The new UI is slow, seriously lacking in features and several options have been removed. Seems to me that very little testing was done on the older Hoppers or Dish would have realized the new UI is slow. Little or no feedback was solicited by Dish when working on the new UI. If there was, I didn’t hear about it. Why didn’t Dish actually ASK customers what they like, dislike or what features we would like to see added?

It’s also obvious that Dish is pushing us to buy a Hopper 3. If one chooses to upgrade, recorded shows from an older Hopper can be transferred to the new Hopper. What if you have two Hoppers? Can you transfer recordings from two Hoppers to the Hopper 3? Have not been able to get an answer on this. Will the installer do the transfers or does the customer have to do this?

Then there’s the problem with having to recreate ALL the timers the customer has on the older Hoppers. Why isn’t there a way to transfer timers also?

Hopper 3 pricing. First price I was quoted was $150. Now it’s now $75 for a Hopper 3. Why aren’t there any easy payment options available for people living on a fixed income? New customers get one free! Guess customer loyalty doesn’t matter.

peggyrh
Casting Director
Recordings need to be transferred to an external hard drive. Yes, all of your recordings can be saved - I still have recordings from two 722 units, 2 Hopper 1 units & 2 Hopper w/Slings saved, don't know why since I'll probably never watch if I haven't by now :) It's simple but time consuming & customer should to do it before installation.
Suggestion - take a photo (with your phone or tablet) of the onscreen timer lists, makes it easier to recreate. One remote can be restored (with timers), but other will need to be recreated. To be safe it's good to have a backup list if you have a lot of timers. Hopper 3 comes with new smaller remote, make sure to keep the older larger ones, you might prefer them.

Just an FYI, many users manually installed the interface months ago, it was in use for quite a while before going out to all Hoppers. My senior neighbors have been using it for months, they haven't noticed a slowdown - seems to work better on some Hoppers, may depend on just how old the Hopper is.