Interface Upgrade- Feedback

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Interface Upgrade- Feedback

hschlossberg
Character Actor
I'm a new Dish customer and all I can think is: if this is the new, improved interface, I can only imagine what a mess you guys had to use before!!! This looks to have been designed by a tech person rather than by a UI designer with experience in such things.

• How many steps to record a show or a series?! It seems different methods depending on what screen you're on. When you search for a series and get a result, sometimes it lets you record when available, and sometimes there is no record option. It is impossible while creating a new "timer" to specify new vs reruns nor the correct channel to record from. Specifying a folder during creation will likely not stick, so it needs to be updated again later when you go in to modify the new/rerun option that we weren't able to set initially. Just. Record. The. Show.

• How many steps to delete a recording?!? 3-5 clicks to delete from the DVR screen. And especially at the end of a show, it takes multi clicks rather than a simple delete-yes/no. The default at the end of a show should be delete rather than some random VOD option. And after I click delete, take me out of that screen! Otherwise I seem to hit an incorrect key and it has taken me back into the just-deleted show. Just. Delete. The. Show.

• Pictures are not worth a thousand words when the pictures are not recognizable. On the DVR screen, I can neither read the show names (because they are tiny and are cut off after the first couple words) nor recognize the random picture (sorry, but from my sofa I can't tell the difference between a tiny Seth Myers and a tiny Jimmy Fallon). There needs to be as 'View As List' option that is permanently remembered.

• The 'list instead of pictures' request applies to the setup and home screens too. The Home screen is totally useless to me; I've turned it off as the default screen, but it could have been so much more purposeful.

• All screens (other than The Guide, which has a large text option) have text that is too difficult to read from a sofa that is 10 feet away. Channel numbers and names on the Info screen or channel header are MUCH too small, but much the rest of the text is also too small. I'm only 50 years old, so I don't think it's just an 'old person thing'.

• Switching channels up and down on the live TV seems to massively confuse the info bar across the top. Sometimes it has the name of the previous show on that channel, and sometimes it flashes a show from a different channel entirely (i.e. previous or next channel up or down). It's one thing for the TV video not to come up right away, but I certainly expect to be able to flip through channels/show titles more quickly.

• Schedule tab vs Timer tab -- completely unnecessary and confusing. Bury the schedule within the timer tab. Otherwise there are too many places to perform actions from and it then gets confusing because some seemingly obvious options aren't available from all places or using the same methods. 'Wait, I've done this before, so why don't I see it, where was it...' Keep. It. Simple.

• I keep sorting the list of shows on the Timer tab to be alphabetical, yet every time I go back to that screen it's listed by priority. Who cares about priority?!? There are 16 tuners to record everything I might want, yet I can't find the pertinent show in the damned list and my system can't remember my preferences!

• You know that little 'back' button on the remote? Why not also allow clicking the 'left arrow' button for the same action? My finger is usually already in that area around the Select button, so i'd seem a natural.

• Somewhat minor, but disappointing: While watching Netflix on the Hopper, the pause button doesn't work.

• Another minor Netflix/Hopper disappointment: I can't record anything from Netflix on my DVR to watch later. I assume I can do that on Dish's VOD (though haven't tested it). Or maybe even just adding my Netflix "to watch" list to Dish's own DVR "ready to watch" list.

That's just a start, as I'm not sitting in front of my TV right now. But I've been cursing this thing every single night for the two weeks since we got it, wondering if I didn't make a huge mistake by switching from DirecTV. Ugh.

kgm032
Camera Crew
@hschlossberg

I agree the new interface is terrible. As for your netflix concerns, first pause is toggling by the play button and I agree pause should work. As for recording netflix that has nothing to do with dish, no platform allows recording from Netflix. It has always been a streaming VOD service meaning it's online waiting for you to watch it, no need to "record it for later" it will be there when you are ready to watch it. This is the same for the Dish app, x1 app, iPhone app and Android app. You cannot record a netflix show.....legally that is ;) Netflix has its own My List, it is designed that way to allow you to access the shows you want to watch from any device.

RickObe
Visual Engineer
kgm032 wrote:
@hschlossberg

I agree the new interface is terrible. As for your netflix concerns, first pause is toggling by the play button and I agree pause should work. As for recording netflix that has nothing to do with dish, no platform allows recording from Netflix. It has always been a streaming VOD service meaning it's online waiting for you to watch it, no need to "record it for later" it will be there when you are ready to watch it. This is the same for the Dish app, x1 app, iPhone app and Android app. You cannot record a netflix show.....legally that is ;) Netflix has its own My List, it is designed that way to allow you to access the shows you want to watch from any device.

Netflix does allow certain shows in its catalogue to be downloaded for offline viewing in its iOS and Android apps. However, as you point out, this would really not be necessary for a home-based box that presumably has a full-time internet connection.

kgm032
Camera Crew
RickObe wrote:
kgm032 wrote:
@hschlossberg

Netflix does allow certain shows in its catalogue to be downloaded for offline viewing in its iOS and Android apps. However, as you point out, this would really not be necessary for a home-based box that presumably has a full-time internet connection.

I stand corrected, I forgot they added that as I have not yet needed to do so.

hschlossberg
Character Actor
RickObe wrote:
@hschlossberg

Heh, you sound like my wife ;-) I know that theoretically I don't need to record Netflix (or Amazon Prime) because it is all on-demand. Perhaps it is just my own laziness, but I don't like having to check to-watch lists in three different places. Imagine if AMC had a separate to-watch list then HBO and you had to go check each list to see if there are any new episodes ready to watch. It's the same for me in having to check Dish's list (DVR), Netflix's list, and Amazon's list. I don't want to have to remember to go to all the places -- I want it all to come to me in one place.

RickObe
Visual Engineer
hschlossberg wrote:
Heh, you sound like my wife ;-) I know that theoretically I don't need to record Netflix (or Amazon Prime) because it is all on-demand. Perhaps it is just my own laziness, but I don't like having to check to-watch lists in three different places. Imagine if AMC had a separate to-watch list then HBO and you had to go check each list to see if there are any new episodes ready to watch. It's the same for me in having to check Dish's list (DVR), Netflix's list, and Amazon's list. I don't want to have to remember to go to all the places -- I want it all to come to me in one place.

I agree. It would be nice if here was an integrated platform that combined all streaming service's watch lists. Unfortunately, I don't think that exists at this point. Netflix will not permit Dish to store its content on the Dish DVR.

This lack of integration is one of the things that, to me, is a major impediment to "cutting the cord". I hope that in the not to distant future, that situation will change.

amagalla
Extra
I don't know if this has been brought up yet, but with the old UI, there were 2 slow speeds. Now there is only one slow speed. Also, the quick guide (I think that's what it's called) times out very quickly and you start changing channels before you know it. Plus (I know that it was the first complaint here) it's really, freakin' SLOW.

peggyrh
Associate Producer
The 4x speed was done away with in 2/16 when this software first came out for the Hopper 3. It's been mentioned often. Dish would have reinstated it by now if they were going to.

Seek and Record: BRING IT BACK!

CableSux
Extra
Please bring back a simple Seek and Record manual timer function. Yes, I know there is a way, sometimes, to create such a manual timer, but it's a KLUDGE... if/when it works.. if you know what to look for. How about this... click DVR, tab over to TIMERS, include a CREATE TIMER button. Enter the text you want to SEEK, enter minutes before start, end late, ALL CHANNELS (or even select channels), protect, priority, folder, etc. There have been complaints since the day the software upgrade came out, so how about fixing it?

P.S. Get a pop-up error message "Timer creation failed. Please try back later." when I search on Detroit Lions, Record All Games. It's nice to see that function... not nice that it doesn't work. And don't tell me it's doing me a favor. :lol:

Re: Seek and Record: BRING IT BACK!

Chadt41411
Casting Director
The software has been out since Feb of last year. Actually, I think it was available before that to download by choice. You mean there have been complaints since people with Hopper with slings upgraded...