Interface Upgrade- Feedback

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Interface Upgrade- Feedback

peggyrh
Casting Director
Call Dish & upgrade Hopper 3 is much faster. You're using old equipment that can't keep up.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
Chiefgil wrote:
Being a Dish customer for almost 30 years, from c-band analog system with a 10' dish thru all the different upgrades, this is the biggest piece of c*^% for an update. I have 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys, all are so slow. 3-5 seconds to switch between channels, 10-15 sec. to load DRV program. The only thing faster is FFWD since X4 has been deleted. Caller ID is so small I can't see it on a 55" tv unless I get up close about 4 or 5 foot away. More icons
have been added as well as more keystrokes on the remote. My wife gets so mad and yells at me because the Dish is so slow and awkward to use.
A commercial was on today that talked about $50 for referring someone. I laughed a lot. who would recommend Dish with this latest and greatest Hopper upgrade.

Go for the H3 and you will want to refer people again, which is likely what those you're referring would get as well.

Update failure.

marcormerod
Extra
The recent update has left my DVR barely working. It takes a few minutes to start now and sometimes (every few days) you have to use the reset button on DVR due to failure to start after 5 minutes, then wait another 5 minutes to reload and then maybe it will start or you have to shut it off and start all over again. When I changed the channel before the update it was almost immediate but now it takes it 10-20 seconds after you enter the channel # on remote to actually change the channel at which you don't know if it changed the channel yet because you are watching a blank screen and then sometimes it goes to channel #103 (Dish info channel) when it clearly showed the channel # you entered was not #103. Since the update the DVR will freeze when live TV is paused and will not function in any manner which forces you to shut it off and lose the program you had paused. Since the update when I try to use the recall function it doesn't load the previous channels viewed fast enough for you to select a channel before the function shuts off. I used to like the Dish DVR (not as good as TIVO) but since the "update" it is very aggravating to say the least.

Hopper with Sling vs Hopper 3

pcbliss
Extra
So we got the dreaded update on our Hopper with Sling and now we have DVR issues, especially with our Joeys. My understanding is that this is the same software that runs on the Hopper3 but that it runs much better on that device. We especially have problems right now if when we pause TV and try to come back and watch it later. We can't finish watching whatever it is. It randomly stops at some point. That's to say nothing of the atrocious performance of the update, especially on the Joeys.

So my question is, if I extend my contract and pay for the new equipment, will my problems be solved or will I still have these issues?

Re: Hopper with Sling vs Hopper 3

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
What issues are you exactly experiencing with the Hopper and Joeys?
What SW is currently loaded on the Hopper and Joeys?
Has a reset been performed on the Hopper?

Are the Joeys wired or wireless Joeys?

Joeys will probably always have some slow performances as there processor is probably getting to be out of date and not able to handle all the new stuff DISH puts in. I would hope and presume that the next Joey HW release might solve that however not sure when or if that will be.

Hopper SW is about the same less features maybe between one and the other. I presume the base code and feature maybe the same. There maybe some HW differences between Sling and non Sling units however again, probably mostly similar HW and processing.

I haven't seen any issues with the play back after being pause for an hour. I can come back and play and the entire time frame plays correctly.

gwtill
Extra
My Hopper 1.0 started rebooting by itself several months ago. At first it was only once or twice a month. It finally got to the point that it was rebooting numerous times per week. I called tech support and they said it was due to a software upgrade that hadn't installed automatically on my system. They told me I needed to manually install the update and gave me instructions on how to do so. I installed the update (big mistake) and now it is so slow that it is almost impossible to use and it is still rebooting as before only now it takes much longer to reboot. I called Customer Service today and was told they were aware of the problem but no fix was available. I have heard that the Hopper 3 would take care of the slowness but was told it would cost $100 for the unit plus almost $100 to install
it. For that price I may as well buy a Hopper 3 off Ebay and install it myself. Anyone (including Dish) have any suggestions?

RickObe
Visual Engineer
gwtill wrote:
My Hopper 1.0 started rebooting by itself several months ago. At first it was only once or twice a month. It finally got to the point that it was rebooting numerous times per week. I called tech support and they said it was due to a software upgrade that hadn't installed automatically on my system. They told me I needed to manually install the update and gave me instructions on how to do so. I installed the update (big mistake) and now it is so slow that it is almost impossible to use and it is still rebooting as before only now it takes much longer to reboot. I called Customer Service today and was told they were aware of the problem but no fix was available. I have heard that the Hopper 3 would take care of the slowness but was told it would cost $100 for the unit plus almost $100 to install
it. For that price I may as well buy a Hopper 3 off Ebay and install it myself. Anyone (including Dish) have any suggestions?

Send a PM to a Dish rep here (name in green) with your account details. Depending on your account status, you may be able to get the H3 for free (but there will be a new 2-year contract).

Chadt41411
Casting Director
gwtill wrote:

You would also need to purchase a new LNB and HUB if you were going to purchase your own. You can add the protection plan and reduce the tech fee to $10, possibly even free. Your Joeys would need upgraded as well to the Joey 2.0's

gwtill
Extra
Thanks for the info Chad. It is pretty sad that no one from Dish bothered to reply. I even pm'd one but so far no reply. I was not aware I would have to replace my LNB and hub. That makes purchasing my own unrealistic.

DISH Employee
If you still need assistance, please send us a PM with your account/phone number and 4 digit PIN.