Interface Upgrade- Feedback

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Interface Upgrade- Feedback

gnattrail1
Extra
I just realized today when my Hopper updated to the new interface, my Joey's didn't. I tried everything before I called i.e. resetting them all, resetting the broadband connections, unplugging them and the wifi. Finally I had to call and they informed me I needed new remotes ($20.00) to "bridge" my Hopper to my Joey's.

I am fuming with the outrageous price I pay monthly for sat., insurance, and the ind. boxes. I told her I would switch to a different carrier before I paid for a REMOTE that they should be glad to send me.

Direct TV or anyone else......here I come

Oh and by the way, I am unable to watch HBO on demand unless I am in the living room where the Hopper is. That is what made me find it in the first place. But with all the feedback on the new interface, don't sound like I want it anyway. UGH!!!

Chadt41411
Casting Director
Put everything in standby with no timers set to fire, and the Joeys will upgrade too. Has nothing to do with remotes.

gnattrail1
Extra
@Chadt4141

Thank you. I feel like that was dirty for them to tell me that. It is working now.

SpyderWeiss
Extra
Funny, I must be one of the few loving the new interface. For me, things are faster and snappier (I'm on the Hopper 2 with Sling), I love being able to see more than 4 channels on the guide now, and the new search feature is much faster for me, and I'm glad it's all text now without images, makes it much less busy and easy to see what you are looking for. I also like the new dark background with the white text. My only complaint is not being able to access my external drive from the menu. I was told when I contacted customer service that I need a new remote that has an "options" button on it, and this button will allow me to access the external drive. Has anyone had any experience using the Hopper 2 w/Sling and the new remote to see if this is true? They waived the fee on the remote, should be arriving next week.

theKiwi
Camera Crew
SpyderWeiss wrote:
My only complaint is not being able to access my external drive from the menu. I was told when I contacted customer service that I need a new remote that has an "options" button on it, and this button will allow me to access the external drive. Has anyone had any experience using the Hopper 2 w/Sling and the new remote to see if this is true? They waived the fee on the remote, should be arriving next week.

I think that's a load of hooey!!!

If your external drive is working OK, then when you press the DVR button, you should see an icon to the right of

[Prime Time] [Rentals] [Sources]

The Sources one will show "2" sources - the DVR drive and the external drive.

If you're like me though, the bloody upgrade of the software did something to my external hard drive that has rendered it unreadable now - apparently a known problem that I'm not the only one that this happened to!!!!! - and you won't be able to see it.

To check this out, unplug the drive, and then plug it back in again - if the DVR responds with an offer to Format it for use with this DVR, then it's hosed as mine apparently is.

Click NO on the dialog to format the drive and disconnect it.

Dish needs to be immensely pressured to fix this - unless it actually zeroed out the whole drive then the content should be there and recoverable and they need to get a utility into the DVR's software to achieve this - I'm am more than pissed off about this - my 2TB external drive was about ¾ full when they did this to it.

Roger

RickObe
Visual Engineer
SpyderWeiss wrote:
I was told when I contacted customer service that I need a new remote that has an "options" button on it, and this button will allow me to access the external drive. Has anyone had any experience using the Hopper 2 w/Sling and the new remote to see if this is true? They waived the fee on the remote, should be arriving next week.

WRONG on two counts. First, as stated in theKiwi in previous post, your EHD should show up under the "Sources" tile on the main DVR screen.

Second, the red button on the old (40.0) remote functions the same as the Options button on the new remote. You don't need the new remote and you may find you like the old remote better since there are functions you can do with the old remote that you can't with the new. For example, the green button on the 40 remote toggles closed captions. There is no corresponding button on the new remote.

SpyderWeiss
Extra
Thanks guys, after reading your posts, I tried turning off my external drive and restarting my hopper. When I turned the drive back on it was recognized and I now see all my programs. Sorry the rest of you guys are having issues, hopefully that will get sorted out. I appreciate everyone's suggestions!

Jbuckley1996
Character Actor
Well as many on this thread have observed, Dish will not fix the interface and either doesn't care or will happily sell you you an upgrade to hopper 3. As far as I am concerned I plan to vote with my wallet and switch to Direct TV in the vey near future.m are you listening Dish?

As I thought, of course not.

Goodbye

John Buckley

Chadt41411
Casting Director
You have not given them time to work on it. It's not something done overnight.

Duvall
Character Actor
Honestly they should roll back the upgrade, like any other software company would do when there are so many catastrophic failures. They never should have rolled out a package thats incompatible with older equipment without alerting customers.