Interface Upgrade- Feedback

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Interface Upgrade- Feedback

igsjr
Extra
I really wanted to like and support the new interface...but once it was installed, movies that I had recorded on the DVR from previous "freeview" weekends could no longer be accessed because I was not subscribed to the channel. Since this had not been an issue BEFORE the update, I can only conclude that this is something that resulted from the new interface.

I spoke to a representative online about this, and they vociferously argued that it had nothing to do with the Hopper interface update. I was told that this was a DRM (digital rights management) issue; that I was being denied access to movies that I had DVR'd during freeviews to prevent piracy. I swear I'm not making this up. By that rationale, if I WERE subscribed to the channel, I could pirate to my heart's content. I maintain that the interface update is the reason why I had to delete movies I had recorded in the past because I could no longer watch them, and no representative can convince me otherwise.

The latest issue with the interface is that some television shows that I downloaded from Encore Westerns during the recent freeview...I can no longer access any of those, either. Even though it states very clearly that they're available for thirty days from the time I downloaded them, I'm not able to watch any of these episodes because I'm not an Encore subscriber. Pre-interface change, there was no problem provided I got them watched within the thirty-day window. The system as it now stands is most disappointing.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
igsjr wrote:
I really wanted to like and support the new interface...but once it was installed, movies that I had recorded on the DVR from previous "freeview" weekends could no longer be accessed because I was not subscribed to the channel. Since this had not been an issue BEFORE the update, I can only conclude that this is something that resulted from the new interface.

I spoke to a representative online about this, and they vociferously argued that it had nothing to do with the Hopper interface update. I was told that this was a DRM (digital rights management) issue; that I was being denied access to movies that I had DVR'd during freeviews to prevent piracy. I swear I'm not making this up. By that rationale, if I WERE subscribed to the channel, I could pirate to my heart's content. I maintain that the interface update is the reason why I had to delete movies I had recorded in the past because I could no longer watch them, and no representative can convince me otherwise.

The latest issue with the interface is that some television shows that I downloaded from Encore Westerns during the recent freeview...I can no longer access any of those, either. Even though it states very clearly that they're available for thirty days from the time I downloaded them, I'm not able to watch any of these episodes because I'm not an Encore subscriber. Pre-interface change, there was no problem provided I got them watched within the thirty-day window. The system as it now stands is most disappointing.

It is a DRM issue. If not subscribed, then you will not have access. The movies and shows will remain on your Harddrive, so if you choose to subscribe later, then you'll have access, but there is no more access to free previews after the free period ends.

Community Manager
Community Manager
igsjr wrote:

The issue with error message 013 or 371 on DVR events after upgrading to the new UI has an estimated resolution date of 8/15. We apologize for the inconvenience but are working to have this resolved ASAP.

MidtownAtl
Extra
I noticed there is a software upgrade today that seems to sped things up a bit. Not really a lot faster, but seems to be better. SWID u236 is the version showing

igsjr
Extra
Chadt4141 wrote:
igsjr wrote:

It is a DRM issue. If not subscribed, then you will not have access. The movies and shows will remain on your Harddrive, so if you choose to subscribe later, then you'll have access, but there is no more access to free previews after the free period ends.

An issue that just reared its ugly head AFTER the interface update. Pull the other leg, brother -- it's got bells on it.

RickObe
Visual Engineer
igsjr wrote:
I really wanted to like and support the new interface...but once it was installed, movies that I had recorded on the DVR from previous "freeview" weekends could no longer be accessed because I was not subscribed to the channel. Since this had not been an issue BEFORE the update, I can only conclude that this is something that resulted from the new interface..

For me, when the "not subscribed" message comes up, if I hit the Cancel/Back button on the remote, the message goes away and the movie continues to play. (Don't click OK)

DISH Employee
The free preview content recording that cannot be accessed is a known issue. There is a fix coming for this soon. I am happy to forward your feedback to our Tech Ops department regarding this. To do so, please private message your account/phone and 4 digit PIN.

sk8man101
Extra
Well, unfortunately I think you are going to have to count me in the group that is going to cancel service and move on to something else. The Joey is sooooooooooo slow after this "update" it is almost unusable. Wife complains constantly. Even the hopper is slower than it used to be. I have the Hopper with Sling. With tax paying about $195/month and for that kind of money, this is not acceptable. Not when there are so many other options available. It's been a good ride Dish, but I think the ride is about over.

peggyrh
Associate Producer
So contact Dish & see about getting a Hopper 3 and newer Joey, it makes a big difference.

rjterry21
Extra
I have been a dish customer for 20+ years now. I bought my first system in a retail store in Denver in 1996 and consider myself part of the founding customers and long time supporters of the company.

To that end, I would like to know who to contact to get an upgrade to my home equipment at no charge and with no contract extension. I currently have 2 Hopper2 and two Joey and an older tailgator system in my RV. I'm on autopay for the monthly bill.

The shortcomings in the code update have me seriously considering cutting the cord if I have to spend any $$ to resolve the issue with Dish gear. The lag or complete failure to playback a PTAT recording from the remote Hopper is frustrating.

Additionally, I am experiencing:
[list:3p2qydyz][*:3p2qydyz]lack of 4x (I realize this is probably not coming back). Consequently, the lag and 15x causes frequent overshoots, etc and a most frustrating experience[/*:m:3p2qydyz]
[*:3p2qydyz]tiny caller ID on bottom of screen (whose dumb idea was this?)[/*:m:3p2qydyz]
[*:3p2qydyz]Pressing Guide, Guide, Guide no longer scrolls to each programmed guide. Must press Guide, arrow, etc. to move. This was a useful feature that has now been depreciated[/*:m:3p2qydyz]
[*:3p2qydyz]Black screens/hang trying to playback recordings when current program is playing back from a pause. Have had to hard-reset Hopper to regain control[/*:m:3p2qydyz]
[*:3p2qydyz]Lost EHD option and not showing on account - need this back to move recordings, including those already on the EHD, and I'm not paying another activation fee[/*:m:3p2qydyz]
[*:3p2qydyz]Remote battery error - constant reminder. I use a Harmony and don't use the dish remote[/*:m:3p2qydyz]
[*:3p2qydyz]SLOW, SLOW, SLOW[/*:m:3p2qydyz][/list:u:3p2qydyz]

P.S. I'm also extremely annoyed that every summer, I have to call support to get my tailgator "re-authorized." I pay the receiver fee monthly, without a layup period, so it should stay activated regardless if it hasn't seen a signal for a few months.