cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Interface Upgrade- Feedback

rasouza
Camera Crew
ZZV43701 wrote:
Believe what you want, but the facts, and you act of believing it or not is the old Hoppers will be slower with the new interface.

I'm surprised they can even run it. On the H3 , while not perfect, speed is not as issue.

rasouza wrote:
I refuse to believe that my system is running slower because I have an "older Hopper". It's the interface that is slow. Everything else works fine. I am so frustrated right now I'm ready to give up almost 20 years as a Dish customer and find something else. In addition to the slow down, there are a number of features that I value that are no longer available - Seek and Record, I used all the time - 4X fast forward is gone, only 15, 60 or 300 now. The software doesn't work consistently. I select a recorded program to play and wait and wait for the menu to appear. Sometimes it just times out and goes back to live TV. The search function is inconsistent too. And why am I seeing "Resume Session" everytime I turn it on?

The only response I've had from Dish is that there are lots of new great features (that I don't care about) and I should buy a new Hopper. I'm already paying $200 a month for this service. If I pay anymore, it won't be to Dish!

So let's say I'm wrong and the speed problem is entirely due to my older model Hopper. The new UI is still rife with bugs, inconsistent performance, blank screens and time outs. I'm keeping track. And what about the features that are no longer available? Seek and Record, 4X FFD. I've been a subscriber 20 years as well and Dish has been a great service provider until now. I can't even get an answer from customer service about what they plan to do - or if they plan to do nothing. I complained to the FCC as another Forum member recommended and I suggest others do as well. At this point I'm just looking for an answer to my questions.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
The new UI has been out for ever a year. Most technical complaints were resolved in the H3. Your older model Hopper hasn't much slower processor than the H3, which is where you see these issues. You can still seek an record, however it works differently now.

giblaba12
Camera Crew
WFScooter wrote:
giblaba12 wrote:
How do I search by genre?

On an older remote the very bottom right button should be OnDemand. In there you can go into free movies, then into the different genres. I guess I did misstate the Netflix search, I think that's in the regular search, not the VOD search. On the new remote it's a few more clicks as far as I can tell. Hit Home, then go up to the tabs, then over to Menu, then OnDemand. That's one reason I didn't let them take my old remotes when I upgraded to the H3, new remotes don't have the color buttons, or PIP buttons. Good luck...

Don't use on demand. I live in the sticks and have a ridiculously low data cap. On the old UI, I could search different genres in the program guide on regular channels. No more. :cry:

njande75
Character Actor
My EHD will not show the recordings. I can see the % full which is different from the dvr. I have Hopper 2 w/sling. I have no way to see/play my EHD recordings. Please fix it!!

Thanks,
Nancy A

msa651
Camera Crew
Chadt4141 wrote:
The new UI has been out for ever a year. Most technical complaints were resolved in the H3. Your older model Hopper hasn't much slower processor than the H3, which is where you see these issues. You can still seek an record, however it works differently now.

Sorry Chad but that has to be the lamest defense for an upgrade that shouldn't have been done on older hardware that can't handle it and wasn't well tested either.

joker56k
Extra
[b:24ojiq0f]Very Disappointed with the upgrade.[/b:24ojiq0f]Ok that may be too tame. I have been a dish customer for years, never had any issues. Now after the upgrade, all I have is problems. I am really considering moving to [b:24ojiq0f]DTV[/b:24ojiq0f] or even back to [b:24ojiq0f]Comcast[/b:24ojiq0f].

[b:24ojiq0f]Let me tell you why[/b:24ojiq0f]

I have a Hopper with Sling 1 joey and 1 super joey
I have about 175 timers set.
I have an external 2T HD with about 1T used. The internal drive is about 60% used.

[b:24ojiq0f]Here are the issues.[/b:24ojiq0f]
[list:24ojiq0f]Lag on the Joeys. It takes almost a second to react between button presses on remote [/list:u:24ojiq0f]
[list:24ojiq0f]Lag on Hopper. Not as bad as a Joey, but still frustratingly slow[/list:u:24ojiq0f]
[list:24ojiq0f]Cannot rewind. I have an autotune set. I select the tuner on my Joey that is tuned to the show. about 20% of the time I can not rewind[/list:u:24ojiq0f]
[list:24ojiq0f]Cannot rewind past the start of a show. Can only rewind to the start of the current show on Live TV. Previously I could rewind for 60 min. regardless of crossing show boundaries.[/list:u:24ojiq0f]
[list:24ojiq0f]screen freezes on a black screen. I have to turn off the Joey or Hopper to clear.[/list:u:24ojiq0f]

Here is why I would move to another service.
I could upgrade to the new hopper. [b:24ojiq0f]HOWEVER[/b:24ojiq0f]

[list:24ojiq0f]Not sure if the external HD is portable between the 2 systems. I do not want to lose all my shows.[/list:u:24ojiq0f]
[list:24ojiq0f]I do not want to remake all my timers. I have a lot of them[/list:u:24ojiq0f]

So If I am going to lose my shows and have to remake the timers. I might as well move to another service. I am that frustrated with the whole thing.
Highlighted

WFScooter
Camera Crew
joker56k wrote:
I could upgrade to the new hopper. [b:3sqttrjl]HOWEVER[/b:3sqttrjl]

[list:3sqttrjl]Not sure if the external HD is portable between the 2 systems. I do not want to lose all my shows.[/list:u:3sqttrjl]
[list:3sqttrjl]I do not want to remake all my timers. I have a lot of them[/list:u:3sqttrjl]

Good news, your external hd and its contents will work with the H3 just fine. As for your timers, at least for me, my timers were backed up to the remote, and I was able to connect my old remote to the new H3 and restore all of my scheduled timers. You can also hook up the old Hopper to the new H3 with a network cable and transfer all your recordings to it. The transfer takes a while, but the installer left the old receivers with me, and Dish sent me boxes to ship them back in once I got everything off them.

Trust me, the H3 makes all the difference...

joker56k
Extra
WFScooter wrote:
joker56k wrote:
I could upgrade to the new hopper. [b:1j0443e2]HOWEVER[/b:1j0443e2]

[list:1j0443e2]Not sure if the external HD is portable between the 2 systems. I do not want to lose all my shows.[/list:u:1j0443e2]
[list:1j0443e2]I do not want to remake all my timers. I have a lot of them[/list:u:1j0443e2]

Good news, your external hd and its contents will work with the H3 just fine. As for your timers, at least for me, my timers were backed up to the remote, and I was able to connect my old remote to the new H3 and restore all of my scheduled timers. You can also hook up the old Hopper to the new H3 with a network cable and transfer all your recordings to it. The transfer takes a while, but the installer left the old receivers with me, and Dish sent me boxes to ship them back in once I got everything off them.

Trust me, the H3 makes all the difference...

Thanks for the reply, How do you backup timers to the remote? I have 3 remotes, one for each device. How do I tell what is backed up?

Thanks

Chadt41411
Casting Director
They autoback-up. But you can go into the settings and manually back up.

peggyrh
Associate Producer
Do not let the installer take the old remotes, they have the 4 colored buttons, the new smaller remotes need more button presses to do the same things - you may prefer using the larger or the smaller, & both will work on the H3. I wouldn't use the ethernet connection to transfer recordings, it takes too long, just transfer programs to your EHD by usb before the installer arrives.