I have a onkyo receiver-how do I connect it to Dish?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a onkyo receiver-how do I connect it to Dish?

JustJulie07
Extra

I have a onkyo receiver, the previous home owners had Optimum. I do not know anything about this except we have Bose speakers throughout our living room and we can't get them to work. The Dish Technician who did the install was trying to figure it out as well. 

Doesn't the Dish network box have to be connected to Onkyo or am I missing something?

New to the forum-appreciate any help anyone has. When I click theater on my Sony remote it says switching back to Tv speakers.

I feel like the dish box should be connected somehow or maybe I'm wrong. Thanks again for any help.

2 Replies

Re: I have a onkyo receiver-how do I connect it to Dish?

d4g4m
Visual Engineer

I have a Samsung TV and Onkyo TX-NR626 Both have ARC Does your TV and your receiver have ARC? If so, connect a HDMI cable from the TV HDMI that is designated as [ARC]. Usually HDMI1 is for DISH or cable box, HDMI2 ARC, HDMI3 DVD/Bluray. Plug the other end into the receiver out main ARC. Should be first outlet, top right. When the receiver is off, speakers on TV are used. When you press the TV/CD button on the front of the receiver or remote, audio will switch to external speakers.

I'll assume your receiver has ARC. If your TV does not have ARC, you'll have to connect with RCA cables. Connect red and white cables from TV audio out to audio in jacks [bottom left rear of receiver. You will probably also need a optical cable that goes from TV digital optical out to optical in, same area as audio in.

Re: I have a onkyo receiver-how do I connect it to Dish?

tommyy2
Cinematographer

Does your TV have optical out?

Does your audio system have Optical in?

Simple, You can run an optical cable from the out to the in, make the proper settings and any sound on your TV regardless of where it comes will play on your audio system.

If you need more, you might include the make / model #s of yout TV and audio system.