I Need a New Larger EHD any H3 issues?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Need a New Larger EHD any H3 issues?

naustin
Camera Crew
My old one TB external hard disk (EHD) that I used with my previous 622 is finally full. For the last year I have been using it on my Hopper3. I'd like to upgrade to a USB 3.0 2 TB EHD (Seagate Backup Plus Slim) but I've got some questions.
1. Can the Hopper3 power an EHD from its USB 3.0 port?
2. Is Two Terabytes (TB) still the maximum size allowed?
3. Will the H3 support 2 EHDs at the same time?
4.Do I need to transfer my old EHD recordings to the H3 first and then to my new USB 3.0 EHD?

Thanks for your insight and help.
10 Replies

Re: I Need a New Larger EHD any H3 issues?

1. No, we require the EHD has an external power source.
2. 2TB is still the max.
3. It can, yes.
4. Yes. You cannot transfer from EHD to EHD
---------------------------------
Matt "Speedy" Gonzales | Moderator

naustin
Camera Crew
Thanks for the prompt reply Matt. It is a shame that the H3 needs the EHD to have its own external power source. It will take some serious research to find a USB 3.0 EHD that is externally powered. :mrgreen:

naustin wrote:
Thanks for the prompt reply Matt. It is a shame that the H3 needs the EHD to have its own external power source. It will take some serious research to find a USB 3.0 EHD that is externally powered. :mrgreen:

It does take some research. Basically, you will want the EHD that has the AC power adapter in the box
---------------------------------
Matt "Speedy" Gonzales | Moderator

RickObe
Visual Engineer
naustin wrote:

Western Digital makes several of them.

e.g. https://smile.amazon.com/Western-Digita ... y+book+2tb

naustin
Camera Crew
RickObe wrote:
naustin wrote:

Western Digital makes several of them.

e.g. https://smile.amazon.com/Western-Digita ... y+book+2tb
Thanks I found the old version WD Mybook, a Verbatim & a Seagate, though it is getting hard to find these "small capacity" drives in the powered Desktop version. The smallest "current" WD Mybook is 3TB.

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
You can still find internal 2Tb drives and users can also get external 3.0 USB drive cases and install the drives in these case. Users would have to make sure the cases come with external power adapters is all. A suggestion.

tommyy2
Audio Engineer
External hard drives are either 2 1/2 inch or 3 1/2 inch, the 2 1/2 usually run off power supplied by the usb interface, the 3 1/2 inch drives will have a power adapter with them. If a drive says external portable usually means 2 1/2 drive. Also note the rpm of the drive 7200rpm or 5400rpm, the 7200 will be faster but will usually make more noise and run hotter than the 5400. For the Dish 5400 rpm is plenty fast and quiet is a good thing. Read a lot of posts of people using WD MYBOOK drives successfully (avail Walmart 2GB ~$100).

Also I'm not sure but I thought I'd read several posts of people using drives larger than 2TB with no problems, perhaps someone will post some info on that.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
tommyy2 wrote:
External hard drives are either 2 1/2 inch or 3 1/2 inch, the 2 1/2 usually run off power supplied by the usb interface, the 3 1/2 inch drives will have a power adapter with them. If a drive says external portable usually means 2 1/2 drive. Also note the rpm of the drive 7200rpm or 5400rpm, the 7200 will be faster but will usually make more noise and run hotter than the 5400. For the Dish 5400 rpm is plenty fast and quiet is a good thing. Read a lot of posts of people using WD MYBOOK drives successfully (avail Walmart 2GB ~$100).

Also I'm not sure but I thought I'd read several posts of people using drives larger than 2TB with no problems, perhaps someone will post some info on that.

There are people that have gotten 3TB to work, however because they are not consistent, they are not supported. Also, only 2TB is accessible.

Mid90sDishCustomer
Camera Crew
Personally I wasn't aware that there is a requirement for externally powered external hard drives.

When I upgraded to the Hopper 3 over the summer I added a 2TB WD ultra portable My Passport powered only by the USB and it has been working great.

During the Hopper 3 external hard drive issues (October - December) this drive actually worked sporadically whereas my other, externally powered EHD never came back online until the official firmware version that contained the fix.