I Absolutely HATE the New Hopper Interface !!!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I Absolutely HATE the New Hopper Interface !!!

Chadt41411
Casting Director
I do not work for Dish. I was a call center supervisor in the tech and CS department for quite some time, quite some time ago. Still love the cOmpany. The signature is there by request from some of the customers you may have seen across the board.

Re: I Absolutely HATE the New Hopper Interface !!!

peggyrh
Casting Director
How many people were upset with Microsoft (or Apple or Android or whatever company you might deal with) when they changed their software? Did you stop using it, or did you learn how to use it? When Windows went from 7 to 8 to 10 there were millions of customers complaining at first, they either adapted to the new interface or stopped using the product and found another option, no one asked if they wanted to be upgraded either.

Re: I Absolutely HATE the New Hopper Interface !!!

NYDutch
Audio Engineer
It took me all of 3 or 4 days to get pretty comfortable with the new CUI on my two Hopper w/Slings, and perhaps another week to find my way around some of the more obscure settings. After 7 or 8 months using it, I have no significant complaints. And with my 75th birthday looming in a couple of months, I'm sure not one of the youngsters the CUI may have been created for!

Re: I Absolutely HATE the New Hopper Interface !!!

BuckSkin
Costume Designer
I HAVE HAD a hopper and a Joey since day one, which has been around ten years ago.

I don't like it being insinuated that I am mis-speaking.

Re: I Absolutely HATE the New Hopper Interface !!!

Chadt41411
Casting Director
NYDutch wrote:
It took me all of 3 or 4 days to get pretty comfortable with the new CUI on my two Hopper w/Slings, and perhaps another week to find my way around some of the more obscure settings. After 7 or 8 months using it, I have no significant complaints. And with my 75th birthday looming in a couple of months, I'm sure not one of the youngsters the CUI may have been created for!


I didn't mean it was just for them. Just that it is likely the answer to the(and I hate to say it this way, but is the unfortunate truth) dying traditional crowd. Believe when I say I am one for great technology coming out, but am not one to upgrade to new technology because it is supposed to be great. If it works, it works. But people complained before the CUI update, and now they had a change, and now they complain about how it has changed. Honestly, there never is winning.

That's awesome that your H2's are rocking along. Up until the H3, I thought you couldn't get my two H2's prayed from my cold dead hands. Constantly revolutionizing.

The first Hopper came out in April of 2012... it is currently January 2018...

Re: I Absolutely HATE the New Hopper Interface !!!

PCHearn
Costume Designer
BuckSkin - If you cut the cord (satellite), take a look at the TiVo Roamio OTA. It might give you as much DVR capability as you want. LIke you, I have had the original Hopper since Dish first released it. I'm still a Dish customer, but I'm experimenting with TiVo. I could cut the cord today, but I'm pretty sure that my wife will never give up Dish.

Re: I Absolutely HATE the New Hopper Interface !!!

peggyrh
Casting Director
If you have the first Hopper you're using 6 year old technology, why wouldn't it be slow? A 6 year old computer runs slow too, if you're still able to use it.

Re: I Absolutely HATE the New Hopper Interface !!!

Roadijeff
Cinematographer
BuckSkin wrote:
I HAVE HAD a hopper and a Joey since day one, which has been around ten years ago.

I don't like it being insinuated that I am mis-speaking.


The first Hoppers were made available to the public in March, 2012, less than 6 years ago.

Re: I Absolutely HATE the New Hopper Interface !!!

stile99
Cinematographer
BuckSkin wrote:
I HAVE HAD a hopper and a Joey since day one, which has been around ten years ago.

I don't like it being insinuated that I am mis-speaking.


I'm insinuating nothing, I'm making a statement of objectively verifiable fact. Nobody has a ten year old Hopper. I repeat, it was introduced six years ago (almost exactly, since it was introduced at CES), and made available a couple months after introduction.

Re: I Absolutely HATE the New Hopper Interface !!!

NYDutch
Audio Engineer
Chadt4141 wrote:
NYDutch wrote:
It took me all of 3 or 4 days to get pretty comfortable with the new CUI on my two Hopper w/Slings, and perhaps another week to find my way around some of the more obscure settings. After 7 or 8 months using it, I have no significant complaints. And with my 75th birthday looming in a couple of months, I'm sure not one of the youngsters the CUI may have been created for!

I didn't mean it was just for them. Just that it is likely the answer to the(and I hate to say it this way, but is the unfortunate truth) dying traditional crowd. Believe when I say I am one for great technology coming out, but am not one to upgrade to new technology because it is supposed to be great. If it works, it works. But people complained before the CUI update, and now they had a change, and now they complain about how it has changed. Honestly, there never is winning.

That's awesome that your H2s are rocking along. Up until the H3, I thought you couldn't get my two H2s prayed from my cold dead hands. Constantly revolutionizing.

The first Hopper came out in April of 2012... it is currently January 2018...



I expect the CUI was designed in part with the younger prime demographic in mind, but obviously that wasn't the only consideration. Us "old dogs" are necessarily a dying breed, but we're still capable of learning new tricks. And I hope I never stop learning while the grass is still under my feet.



For our situation, with a traveling Hopper in our RV and a fixed Hopper at our NY cottage, switching from H2's to H3's is doable, but we so seldom see recording conflicts that I haven't been in any hurry to pursue it. The introduction of the DPH42 switch does make the upgrade more attractive though, since I could keep my existing no tools needed portable 1000.4 dish configuration.