I Absolutely HATE the New Hopper Interface !!!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: I Absolutely HATE the New Hopper Interface !!!

salyavin
Character Actor
If you go to the menu and change the appearance to modern you may find it more readable.
My issues are slowness on original hopper, no info on space taken by recording, and deleted items keep restoring overnight even if trashed and trash is emptied. I really think this update was a bit much for the hardware of an original hopper.

timl
Character Actor

Hate the new interface. 

1. very slow

2. no 4x fast forward

3. no 1/4x slow motion

4. no manual timers

Looking in the onscreen help, they brag about removing all the 'techy' stuff.  Why remove it?  Us 'techies' used it, and non-techies ignored it.  Very bad upgrade.  Bring the old interface back!

Lektrk
Character Actor

It is terrible, complaints do no good so I will be switching to cable or Directv also. They obviously don't care about their customers.

Lektrk
Character Actor

Not to mention if you are watching at night they reset the receiver on you with no warning, If you're watching a show that has ended on the guide and have to leave it will not let you record it to finish watching it later. They are telling their customers they couldn't care less about them.

timl
Character Actor

I commented before, but i have found new issues...but first a comment on the dish interfaces.

BEFORE the upgrade:  the interface worked well.  I had no issues with it.  I liked it.

AFTER the upgrade:  the interface does not work well.  I have many issues with it.  I curse it every time I use it.

New issues I have found...both with the record button and how it now works.

1. the other night i saw the olympics was on.  i did not want to watch it right then.  as the program had already started, i just selected the program from the guide to show the olympics...once the olympics was showing on tv, i hit the red record button on the remote.  it said recording and the record light on the front of the hopper came on.  I then selected a different show to watch.  The next day I went to watch the olympics I had recorded.  In the recordings display, there it was...Olympics...duration 2:45 (since i had started it after it was in progress).  But, when I started the recording it was not the olympics...it was 2:45 minutes recorded on the channel I had started watching the night before.

2. the record button is now selective.  if you have paused a show you can no longer go back and record any of the show, even though it is still in the buffer, if the show is now over.  It says it is recording it, but it doesnt record it.  So here is where you will really see this.  You have been watching the same channel but have say 30 minutes time in the buffer.  A new show comes on that you want to watch, but you need to leave right now...solution, record it and watch it later.  So, you back up through the buffer to the beginning of the show, but you find that the show really started broadcasing 2 minutes before the dish clock said it should.  on the old interface, this was no problem. on the new interface, you are out of luck. No matter what, the new interface will not start recording the show until you move forward in the buffer to where the clock thinks the show should start (you can see this in the buffer display.  where dish thinks the show should start is marked.  It will only record if you are at or foward from that mark.  This is especially stupid in light of the fact that when you set up timers, they take clock differences into account and allow you to start the show early (by default I think 2-3 minutes early).  But if you try to do it by hand, it wont allow it.  This is REALLY annoying...when I push that red record button on the remote, i want it to start recording NOW, and not have dish trying to 'help' me by not letting me record something that I WANT to record.

Another example of this problem...say you were watching something that was in the buffer and you saw something you really wanted to show your wife who is not home...on the old interface, easy, back up and hit the red record button on the remote. Now, on the new interface, if the show is over, even if it is still available in the buffer, you cant record it.  Takes a lot of the utility of the buffer away if you cant record part of a show in the buffer just because the show is over.

To add to other remarks I have seen...before the upgrade I gave dish interface a perfect rating...A+.

Now, it gets an F.  Before, my hopper worked great...no complaints.  Now, nothing but complaints.

I have been with dish for 15 years, and now for the first time, I am considering finding another provider.

WAKE UP DISH!  This new interface is terrible and you need to allow people to go back to the older version.

Like I said...I have been with dish for 15 years...these are not newbe mistakes...these are real problems with the new interface...before, i knew how to make it do what I wanted it to do, but now, there are things I used to do that are no longer even possible.

Jerel2u
Character Actor
I hate the new UI too, but like everyone who stays with Dish, I will adjust and adapt. But I really hate this “victim bashing” and have to speak up. Microsoft didn’t upgrade my Windows XP to Windows 8 while I slept, or force me to upgrade. Old hardware doesn’t “get slow”. It’s not a living being that slows down with age. It becomes too slow because it’s asked to do too much. In this case Dish forced overly-demanding software on hardware that does not support it very well, and removed and/or poorly implemented important features in the new version that were previously available in the old version. This whole big flap is not just because the UI changed. All tech users bitch, moan, and complain when our UI changes. But we are used to it. It’s because Dish knowingly degraded the user experience for all users of older devices with no advance notice, and no consideration of the users. They threw the majority of their oldest and most loyal customers under the bus. THAT is why everyone is complaining.

BarbieH2
Character Actor

I have a new Hopper 3 and 2 of the Joeys. Nothing works like it is supposed to. I have new hardware.

@@Jerel2u wrote:
I hate the new UI too, but like everyone who stays with Dish, I will adjust and adapt. But I really hate this “victim bashing” and have to speak up. Microsoft didn’t upgrade my Windows XP to Windows 8 while I slept, or force me to upgrade. Old hardware doesn’t “get slow”. It’s not a living being that slows down with age. It becomes too slow because it’s asked to do too much. In this case Dish forced overly-demanding software on hardware that does not support it very well, and removed and/or poorly implemented important features in the new version that were previously available in the old version. This whole big flap is not just because the UI changed. All tech users bitch, moan, and complain when our UI changes. But we are used to it. It’s because Dish knowingly degraded the user experience for all users of older devices with no advance notice, and no consideration of the users. They threw the majority of their oldest and most loyal customers under the bus. THAT is why everyone is complaining.

TucsonTess
Extra
I agree completely. Tonight I finally had to turn off the Hooper and restart just to get back to Live TV. Everything you try to do is so SLOW.

DISH Employee

TucsonTess, I hate to hear that you are having this issue, and I would love the opportunity to resolve it for you. Is it slow when you try to access your menus or when you change the channel?