How to force mlb games to record on non-blacked-out channel?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to force mlb games to record on non-blacked-out channel?

lchadwick
Extra

The main reason we have TV is to watch the Detroit Tigers play baseball.  We also purchased the MLB extra innings package, to watch other games from time to time.  Our system (Hopper 3 / current software version U518) offers to record all games for any given team.  We have it set to record all Tigers games.  More often than not, however, it records 4 hours of blackout from the MLB channel (one of the 476 channels), and does NOT record the game broadcast on Fox Sports Detroit (channel 412-20).  After two years of being frustrated by this, I'm long overdue to post.  Is the simple answer to drop the MLB extra innings package?  Or will it still try to record on those [blacked out] channels even if we don't subscribe?

5 Replies

Re: How to force mlb games to record on non-blacked-out channel?

Chadt4141
Casting Director
You would want to manually set up the games.

lchadwick
Extra

Chadt4141 wrote:
You would want to manually set up the games.

Like TiVo 20 years ago!  Is there hope that someday soon the "create timer" [under home/sports/teams, for any given 'favorite' team] feature on DISH will be useful for MLB extra innings customers?  Or should baseball fans who live in home markets of favorite teams just look elsewhere for a more 'modern' baseball consumption experience (or in the meantime maybe just skip paying dish for extra innings, and watch any out-of-market game on mlb.tv on the computer)?  Thanks Chadt!

Chadt4141
Casting Director
Honestly, it is a better and cheaper experience to do the online offer... ultimately, that is the best recommendation if you have the equipment to play it on your home tv(Roku, FireatV, etc)

ScottStiers
Extra

I found this thread when looking for a solution to this as I am experiencing the exact same behaviour with the AZ Diamonbacks.  But guess what, I'm not paying for any MLB Extra Innings plans so the fact that the OP is paying for it doesn't have anything to do with the problem.  Scheduling manual recordings is ridiculous when we have an option to record a team.  What are we I supposed to do, watch the Extra Inning schedule so we can manually record games when DBacks are on Extra Innings?  Or much worse, are we supposed to do 162 manual recordings thoughout the year?

I was watching something else yesterday afternoon when the DBacks game was about to start and, I swear, the reminder that popped up on the screen said it was getting ready to start on FSAZ, not Extra Innings, but it went ahead and recorded 4 hours of black screen on Extra Innings.  Nice!  I'm new to DISH but isn't it supposed to search for a 'legal' channel if it finds a blacked out game?

I just switched over from DTV for a similar problem that went on for 5 years and I finally got fed up.  The whole point of recording a team is to avoid having to do manual recordings.  You would think that in this digital age they could make it work.  I'm a retired programmer and anything you can think about doing should be programmable.

I can live missing a game or two now but not when we get to the playoffs! 

DISH Employee

We're always working on ways to improve viewing experience, ScottStiers. We definitely appreciate you reaching out to us with this feedback about the recordings set for Teams, and have this forwarded for you! Thanks!