House cabling for Hopper + Joey?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

House cabling for Hopper + Joey?

berthyman
Extra
First, are there wiring diagrams for typical installations on the Dish Web site anywhere? The installation files all assume the wiring's in place.

But ... The house is currently wired for 2 receivers, a 722 and a 322. Would a Hopper+Joey configuration be a simple drop-in replacement, using the existing wiring, or is that going to involve actual work?
12 Replies

Re: House cabling for Hopper + Joey?

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
Any new installation of a Hopper system will require a on site visit with a tech. They need to make sure that cabling and dish is all in good working order before a Hopper system is installed. RG6 cabling is needed however a specific rating is needed thats used by DISH and the Hopper system and dish. The tech will check your cabling and re-install newer if needed.

I believe there is a installation diagram on DISHs support site on what configurations they support.

I use this for my two Joey's to connect to the hopper, however it's not officially supported:
[url:1miuaf44]https://support.dish.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=18366&start=10#p107624[/url:1miuaf44]

Works well.

berthyman
Extra
No doubt that they'll roll a truck for this, but I was just worried about having to move shelf systems and run additional cable.

Using the correct googlewords, I was able to find a number of example wiring diagrams.

If the layout on page 3 of [url:1gxwsgu8]http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/attachments/hopperjoeysystem_jobaid-pdf.75240/[/url:1gxwsgu8] is still correct, all that's needed here is the "Solo Node," the Hopper and the Joey.

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
If thats your projected configuration, then I presume thats what will be set up. They may change out the node box and maybe the LNB. You'll find out when the truck arrives. ;)

Chadt41411
Casting Director
Is I the a Hopper or a Hopper 3?

Irish Shark
Character Actor
For new installs they only use H3's. Correct?

Chadt4141 wrote:

Chadt41411
Casting Director
Irish Shark wrote:

Chadt4141 wrote:

No, H1's and H2's are still going out. Based on credit qualification.

Irish Shark
Character Actor
Interesting, I did not know that. Thought that I read some place that the old ones were retired once pulled out of service.

I had thought that the price you are charged for the H3 was based on your credit rating, and time with Dish and some pixie dust for good measure.. You know, some are free while others pay $XX.

Chadt4141 wrote:
Irish Shark wrote:

Chadt4141 wrote:

No, H1's and H2's are still going out. Based on credit qualification.

BarbEG
Character Actor
When we switched from the older receivers a couple of years ago - they actually had to install a new dish to meet the standards of the hopper - we have H2 - actually --

Make sure your tech that comes out also changes out the connectors - as if they don't -- you will have the same problems I have had for the past 2 yrs and will have them sending you replacement hoppers and joeys :( all because a tech took a shortcut

There are somethings that were used in the past that do not work with the hoppers - connectors not being changed out because a tech wants to cut corners is one of them -- also a tuner not working is the other of course ;)

Irish Shark
Character Actor
Are you talking about compression F-connectors? Why would not changing them cause problems?

EDIT - New coax due to the higher frequency that the H3 uses. Is this what you are calling new connectors?

BarbEG wrote:

There are somethings that were used in the past that do not work with the hoppers - connectors not being changed out because a tech wants to cut corners is one of them