Hot equipment

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hot equipment

cstrome
Extra
The small joey gets extremely hot to the touch. I tried to go through support, but apparently it's not a problem that it's so hot you can't hold your hand on it. All I wanted was to switch it out because something is obviously wrong but I guess that's not an option. Guess it's time to look at new service, although I've been a loyal dish customer for many years. Way to take care of your customers.
16 Replies

Re: Hot equipment

olds4422
Audio Engineer
1.0 joeys get hot but not so hot your cant hold you hand on it, same for 4k joey, that be said if there in enclosed area they will get hotter, they are all passively cooled. if you have pay for the equipment protection plan, they have to replace

Chadt41411
Casting Director
They do not have to replace. That is a myth. The Protection Plan is when there is a problem. In this case, a replacement wouldn't fix it. A small laptop fan plugged into the USB will keep it cool.

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
Had Joeys over the years and they do seem to get warmer during use. I never had any issues with them and kept them on a open shelf with good ventilation. Using a Laptop cooler would be good as well.

bobknob
Costume Designer
Chadt4141 wrote:
They do not have to replace. That is a myth. The Protection Plan is when there is a problem. In this case, a replacement wouldn't fix it. A small laptop fan plugged into the USB will keep it cool.

Why does a customer have to pay for an additional component to keep the equipment cool? Is it normal to have a device run so hot it cannot be touched?

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
Yep. Joeys run warm or hot. Theres only one board there and the case is ventilated. You don't have to get additional cooling. I've had Joeys for years and haven't added any cooling to them. Just make sure they are placed well and have good out side ventilation and not placed in a closed area or cabinet.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
You don't have to, however it is a recommendation if you feel it is too hot

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
Agree with Chad. Never hurts to have additional cooling. On any device. I keep a laptop cooler under my network router all the time.

bobknob
Costume Designer
e38BimmerFN wrote:
Agree with Chad. Never hurts to have additional cooling. On any device. I keep a laptop cooler under my network router all the time.

Or dish could engineer a device that isn't too hot to touch? Just a thought.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
I have had every piece of Hopper equipment you can think of since it's release... The Joey is safe. The fan was to give you piece of mind. What they have engineered is fine. That is normal for most electronics that do not have fans in them, and are cooled by the surrounding air.