Hopper3 with Joey 2 Fast/forward and rewind jumps too far

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hopper3 with Joey 2 Fast/forward and rewind jumps too far

muknawpa
Character Actor
I have Hopper3 and Joey 2 since mid March 2017 and have the problem of jumping 5 or 10 minutes too far when fast/forwarding or rewinding. Happens on my Joey 2 98% of time. Does not happen on my Hopper3. Support told me that it is a know problem and engineering is "working' on it.
Had 'original' Hopper and Joey for several years without any problems.
11 Replies

Re: Hopper3 with Joey 2 Fast/forward and rewind jumps too fa

The only issue we may have that is similar is this:

dvr & vod events black screen and skipping to the end after receiver has previously entered standby while viewing netflix.

Basically, the workaround is to make sure Netflix is exited properly or not to leave it running while you are not viewing.

Does this describe your issue? If not we have not seen this. How fast are you going when you hit play?
---------------------------------
Matt "Speedy" Gonzales | Moderator

muknawpa
Character Actor
Thanks for looking. I do not use Netflix.
It jumps too far using any speed forward or backward but I mostly use 15x. The failure occurs from Joey 2 only. have never had problem when viewing from the Hopper3. Did not have this problem on original hopper/joey.
This form post from almost five years ago is pretty close to my problem
https://forum.dish.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1829
Copy and paste from above post, I'm wondering if some old code got back into the current software??
Re: Joey forward, rewind problem, Hopper comments
by Matt G » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:20 pm
We understand that this can be frustrating. We are aware of an issue that causes the skip/FFWD/etc (we call these trick functions) to just ahead randomly, or to live TV. This will be corrected in a future software update.

The post from 5 years ago is fully irrelevant in this case as this is a different menu structure and beast entirely.

Have you tried using skip instead of fast forward? That may be my only suggestion and I will submit a report on this for you.

muknawpa
Character Actor
Yes I have, it is the only way I can sort of get past the commercials. Skip forward is only 30 secs and backward @ 10 secs at a time does the job but is pretty aggravating when there is another function that would accomplish the function much more efficiently that does not work.

I actually prefer skip fwd/back and I know it comes down to personal preference. You can press the skip forward button 3 times to skip 3 minutes forward and the screen does tell you how long this goes for. I have not seen another issue as you are describing though.

muknawpa
Character Actor
I agree that it is preference and I have been using FF/rewind for 20 years and that is MY preference. Another factor is that I am 72 and the older we are the more we like doing it the way we always have, and yes it is an issue as the function has always and still does work on my hopper and every other dish DVR that I have had. it worked on my original Joey. Just doesn't work on my Joey 2.
"The post from 5 years ago is fully irrelevant in this case as this is a different menu structure and beast entirely."
Matt, I do not want to quarrel but I am retired IBM engineer and am pretty sure that a different menu structure does not necessarily create a entirely different beast. It is merely a different sign post or icon (the same button on the remote) to do the same function we have been using for the 20 years I have been using Dish DVRs.

You may have noticed that the new UI does not have the 4x fast forward and 15x is the slowest so that may be the issue. The Joeys do have a bit of lag as well, but not 5-10 minutes worth of skipping the playback after pressing play. Please send me a PM with your phone number and 4 digit PIN so I can submit a report on this issue for you.

stevenmac1956
Costume Designer
DVR special effects don't work well on Joeys because of a time delay between the Hopper and the Joey. A movie will always go farther than you want it to.
The only way to fix that problem is to Transfer the movie to a Buffer in the Joey.

muknawpa
Character Actor
I understand what you are referring to as I have been using a Joey for several years now and expect the slight delay you are referring to. My problem is that it is usually about 8 or 9 or 10 minutes too far, way too much to account for a slight delay that you are referring to. I do not watch movies. The problem i'm having is with recorded TV programs that I'm watching from Joey.