Hopper3 Starting up Code 9999 window

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hopper3 Starting up Code 9999 window

Maytag3402
Character Actor
This is now the THIRD day that we have been TOTALLY without service because I accidentally touched the "Power" button while I was looking for the "Find Remote" button in low light conditions. The buttons are the same size, shape and color. The Hopper 3 with Sling went into a boot cycle and became stuck in a continuous loop with the small window in the lower right of the screen that reads "Starting Up" with the code "9999". Support was promptly notified and they report that we are not the only ones without service because of this coding problem. The problem obviously occurred with one of the nightly updates that messed with the boot cycle. It shouldn't be that hard to find when the boot cycle code was modified, who wrote the code, and where in the code for the boot cycle the problem is located. There are: the When, Where, What, and Who of the problem! Doesn't Dishnet keep a log of software modifications? If NOT, then you better start now!

I'm getting nowhere talking to support. All they say is that the coders are working 24/7 on the problem. It can't be that hard! I managed several very complicated software development programs during my career and I know how the software would be structured.

WOE BE to anyone who might have to re-boot their Hopper 3! There is a high likelihood that they will join us in this electronic he!!.
20 Replies

Re: Hopper3 Starting up Code 9999 window

DISH Employee
I do understand your frustration.

If you have not completed any troubleshooting steps regarding the 9999 error code, please try the following:
Unplug receiver from electrical outlet. Wait for 10 seconds. Plug receiver back in.

If not, wait more than 10 minutes for the Refresh in Progress to complete. If still not working, try a partial reset.

Partial Reset can potentially reduce the need of a replacement receiver by clearing any temporary files stored on the receiver and then redownloading new ones. Timers and recordings are not impacted by a Partial Reset. The process typically takes 20 minutes but can take up to 60 minutes.

Go to the Hopper receiver. With your DISH remote, press MENU two times. Select Tools. Select "RESET TO FACTORY DEFAULTS". Select PARTIAL RESET. Select Reset on the Reset Warning pop-up.

Otherwise, this is a known issue. Our Tech Ops team will prioritize fixes based on the feedback they receive. In order to provide the best possible customer experience, feedback is absolutely necessary. If you have not had your feedback reported yet by the past agents, may I please get a private message of your account/phone and 4 digit PIN to relay your feedback?

By reporting the issues, our engineering team and Technical Operations team can work together to find the correct resolution. Specific reports like this really help to resolve the problem as quickly as possible, so thank you for bringing this to our attention.

labfan
Character Actor
Doesn't require reboot. Mine hasn't worked all morning and I never touched the power button. 'Advanced' tech support says it's just being a little slow this morning and I should give it 2-3 hours.

Maytag3402
Character Actor
Well, that business about slow boot doesn't jive with my experience. I have now been without ANYTHING on the Hopper 3 (No tuner and HD not accessible for recordings) for a FOURTH day and nothing seems to have changed. I have tried each of the resets several times with no change. Here is an approximate timeline of how the boot cycle goes -- maybe this will help the techs to find and fix the problem:

All times approximate in MinSmiley Frustratedec

0:00 Plug In
0:18 Hopper 3 w/Sling screen
0:52 blank screen
1:10 Hopper 3 w/Sling screen
1:37 blank screen
1:45 Starting up … 9999
2:22 flash blank screen - 3 to 5 seconds
2:25 Starting up … 9999
3:07 flash blank screen - 3 to 5 seconds
3:15 Starting up … 9999
3:52 flash blank screen - 3 to 5 seconds
4:25 Starting up … 9999
5:32 flash blank screen - 3 to 5 seconds
5:00 Starting up … 9999
6:18 flash blank screen - 3 to 5 seconds
7:00 start new boot cycle

Maytag3402
Character Actor
I got so bored looking at a screen with a "Starting up ..." message that I began looking through the older posts to this board for similar problems. A prior search had developed nothing. But surprise, back on [b:2xu8v9g4]Feb 5[/b:2xu8v9g4], another customer reported the EXACT SAME PROBLEM. The title of his report is: [b:2xu8v9g4]Hopper 3 stuck in startup loop.[/b:2xu8v9g4] Dish finally cured his problem by changing out his Hopper 3 w/Sling THREE TIMES in one day! Therefore, yes, it is a KNOWN problem, but it doesn't look to me like anything is really being done about fixing the problem.

I think it is about time that Dishnet does the same, i.e., changes out my Hopper 3, [b:2xu8v9g4]posthaste[/b:2xu8v9g4] for me, a Dish customer for OVER 20 YR!.

labfan
Character Actor
I'm not buying it either. Now being told that it is a known issue and engineers are working 24/7 to correct. May take 30 minutes or may take 2-3 days.

labfan
Character Actor
I saw that same post as well as a similar post from 2013.

peggyrh
Associate Producer

Posts from 2013 don't apply here, Hopper3 has only been out for a year.
I'd contact one of the names in orange by PM & have them replace your H3, that's not normal behavior.

labfan
Character Actor
Not Hopper3 but similar behavior required replacement of receiver.

Maytag3402
Character Actor
peggyrh With all due respect, I disagree with regard to discounting/ignoring similar problems with older receivers. I managed some very large and very complicated software programs during my various careers and I can say unequivocally that it is extremely common for programmers to use pieces of old code that they have written in newer programs, and that is what we are talking about here. Even if the code language is different, the programming logic flow is certainly copied where applicable. Problems with the original often can repeat in the second, third, fourth . . . versions. You may believe that the H3 software code was virgin code, but I don't believe it for a second.