Hopper3 RCA output distorted

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hopper3 RCA output distorted

phil1948
Extra
I just had a new Hopper 3 installed. The output from the SD RCA cables is distorted on a 16:9 flat panel TV. The Dish menus appear okay, but live TV has bars at the top and bottom of the picture, and the picture is stretched. I asked the tech. up front if I would be able to "clone" the picture through a RF modulator, and he assured me I could. I think I only saw dish menus on the cloned TV's before he left. I have the problem connected directly to the RCA inputs on the TV, or through the RF modulator. When I called support, I got a runaround answer that "they can't possibly support all configurations". I have not had this problem other receivers in the past.
Tags (2)
6 Replies

Re: Hopper3 RCA output distorted

DISH Employee
If you are mirroring a TV, we would not be able to guarantee the quality of it. If you are wanting high quality on the TV, using an HDMI cable would be best. They have HDMI splitters that you could use, but some channels are protected from mirroring due to Digital Rights Management. If you are trying to get TV services on a second TV without having an additional receiver, you can get Dish Anywhere through a Firestick and as long as the Hopper has an Internet Connection you would be able to access your recordings, live TV and On Demand content through the Firestick.

phil1948
Extra
I was told up front by the retailer and the installer that I would be able to clone the picture, so at this point this has become an honesty issue also. It is not a "quality" issue so much. It's how the Hopper 3 handles the picture through the RCA output. First, it has horizontal bars at the top and bottom of the picture. This might make sense if it was displaying a 16:9 on a 4:3 TV, but it is not. Second, Having reduced the height of the picture, it stretches and distorts the width. This might make sense if it were displaying a 4:3 picture on a 16:9 TV, but it is not. Most TV's have an option to stretch the picture, but I usually choose to have the vertical bars on the side of a 4;3 picture rather than distort it. The problem I am describing does not involve a 4:3 picture or a 4:3 TV. For the Hopper to make either of these adjustment makes no sense, but to make both adjustments is confounding. Why you can't admit there is a problem with the output from the the Hopper 3 is also confounding.

DISH Employee
phil1948 wrote:
I was told up front by the retailer and the installer that I would be able to clone the picture, so at this point this has become an honesty issue also. It is not a "quality" issue so much. It's how the Hopper 3 handles the picture through the RCA output. First, it has horizontal bars at the top and bottom of the picture. This might make sense if it was displaying a 16:9 on a 4:3 TV, but it is not. Second, Having reduced the height of the picture, it stretches and distorts the width. This might make sense if it were displaying a 4:3 picture on a 16:9 TV, but it is not. Most TV's have an option to stretch the picture, but I usually choose to have the vertical bars on the side of a 4;3 picture rather than distort it. The problem I am describing does not involve a 4:3 picture or a 4:3 TV. For the Hopper to make either of these adjustment makes no sense, but to make both adjustments is confounding. Why you can't admit there is a problem with the output from the the Hopper 3 is also confounding.

You would have the option to change the formatting of the TV to stretch it, Zoom etc. To change the Format, press the Option button on the remote, then go to Display Format and cycle through each Format to see which format works best for you.

hddn
Visual Engineer
I admit it's been maybe 10 years since I've used an RCA cable or SD, but what I would expect is that the receiver would send a 16:9 image onto the cable by letter boxing it (bars on top) and a 16:9 TV would display the 4:3 image by pillar boxing it (bars on the side). The result would be a 16:9 image surrounded by black on all sides. Then, if you wished, you could use one of the zoom functions (not stretch!!) if you wanted to fill the entire screen. It sounds like you may have the TV or Hopper set up to stretch (ie expand in only one dimension.) Also, there may be a setting in the TV that is telling it that the source is 16:9, when it should probably be 4:3. Then you could apply a simple zoom to it. Or maybe the TV has a vertical only stretch function? It seems like my devices must have about 10 different stretch and zoom modes to deal with all the 16:9 vs 4:3 permutations, but I generally avoid all 4:3 so I don't have to think about it.

Of course, I won't be surprised, if once you zoom the picture to full screen, this (might!?!?!) cut off part of the receiver menus. Since it probably thinks you're watching a letterboxed image on a 4:3 TV.

phil1948
Extra
PamelaM wrote:
If you are mirroring a TV, we would not be able to guarantee the quality of it. If you are wanting high quality on the TV, using an HDMI cable would be best. They have HDMI splitters that you could use, but some channels are protected from mirroring due to Digital Rights Management. If you are trying to get TV services on a second TV without having an additional receiver, you can get Dish Anywhere through a Firestick and as long as the Hopper has an Internet Connection you would be able to access your recordings, live TV and On Demand content through the Firestick.

Before I go on a rant about how my first Dish receiver had an antennae in port and a coax out with pass through, explain to me how I can get Dish Anywhere through Firestick. I'm no seeing it on my Firestick.

stile99
Cinematographer
[url:26pvq3c8]https://www.dish.com/dig/news/stream-dish-anywhere-amazons-fire-tv/[/url:26pvq3c8]