Hopper with sling, recording on two tuners

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hopper with sling, recording on two tuners

edalford
Character Actor
I have had a Hopper since they first came out. Now I have a Hopper w/Sling and there is one problem with the recording of programs that has persisted since my first Hopper. That problem being it will record programs using two tuners if they are free. When I'm playing music during the day it will switch to the recording program and sometimes when I press recall it will show the recording in progress using two tuners at the same time, one is watching and one is watching and recording. Can't dish fix this problem? :?:
11 Replies

Re: Hopper with sling, recording on two tuners

hddn
Visual Engineer
I'm not sure I'm understanding, but if only one tuner is recording, can't you tune the other tuner to the channel of your choice?

This would not be a software issue. Do you have the timer set more than once?
---------------------------------
Matt "Speedy" Gonzales | Moderator

edalford
Character Actor
Maybe I mislabeled this post. The Hopper says it's recording and watching on one tuner and just watching on the other tuner. Yes I can then manually change back to my previous program which is music but that's a pain having to do this all day. While there are three tuners available, a program should only watch and record on one. And, no I don't have duplicate timers set up. I agree that this is a definite software problem, but it has been around for a long, long time.

hddn
Visual Engineer
I don't think there has ever been an association between tuner and program. On my older 722, I could (but I don't) put the DVR into "dual mode" where each TV controls one tuner. This would allow operation more like what you want. I don't know if that was preserved on Hoppers.

Krashum
Extra
I just upgraded to Hopper and I thought that I could record multiple shows while watching live TV? But I see that Hopper is no different than my Dish DVR, which only allows you to record one show and watch Live TV at the same time. What am I missing :?:

stile99
Cinematographer
If you upgraded to the HWS (Hopper With Sling), it has three tuners, five if you also have a Super Joey. Sticking with just the three, you can record two programs and watch Live TV on one TV at the same time. The Hopper 3 has 16 tuners, so for most people conflicts don't exist.

There is a bit of trickery in recording shows with the HWS...one of the tuners can record four programs, if the four are the Prime Time Any Time channels. So assuming one tuner is doing that, another tuner can also record what would be a fifth program, and you're still able to watch live TV on one TV.

peggyrh
Associate Producer
In addition if you have Joeys they also use a tuner if watching live TV.

AggieJustin
Costume Designer
I see the same behavior on my Hopper with Sling. I've also seen issues where it forces me to switch the channel even when tuners are free.

My wife has a scheduled recording at 2p on weekdays. If I'm the only one in the house at that time and only watching one channel, only one tuner is active. However, right before 2p I'll get the message that it needs to change the channel to record. Once the recording starts, then I can switch back (which loses whatever I was watching) and then shows only 2 tuners active. So why do I have to change channels when there are free tuners? I get why I have to change when everything is active, but it should force the change when there are available slots.

dflem29
Costume Designer
Yes, I have the same issue. It also affects the Joey TV, so that sometimes my husband denies the recording I set up, so that I lose it. He is watching on one tuner on Joey TV, I might be watching a live or delayed (buffered on main Hopper) with one tuner free.