Hopper with sling questions and concerns

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hopper with sling questions and concerns

Nolt
Extra

Did anyone know that after the software update Dish upgraded the hardware in the Hopper 2? I was told AFTER i upgraded to the Hopper 3 that the Hopper 2 that i had contained outdated hardware, but the new ones that get installed have new hardware that is compatible with the new software. Shouldnt i have automatically gotten a new and improved Hopper 2 sent to me to switch out with my outdated one before the update? Or at least been given the option after the numerous phone calls complaining about what the update had done to my Hopper 2? Nope. I finally upgraded to the Hopper 3 thinking that was my only option. Paying $100 for the upgrade, then another $100 for a hard drive to transfer my recordings from my Hopper 2 to my new Hopper 3. I could have been happy from day one of the update had someone upgraded my hardware on day one. I just assumed the Hopper 2 was being phased out...nope...the new ones have the correct hardware already installed in them. The more ya know...

9 Replies

Re: Hopper with sling questions and concerns

Chadt4141
Associate Producer
Whomever told you that, was incorrect. The H2 has not been in any form of production since 2015. About the time they started with mass production of of he H3.

Nolt
Extra
The tech that installed my H3 told me about it, he was pretty convincing... do you work for Dish Chad?

Chadt4141
Associate Producer
Not anymore, but the tech wouldn’t know too much if that info, honestly. The production of H2’s stopped when the mass production began on H3.

Nolt
Extra
I wouldnt be surprised that some installation techs install products they know nothing about. So, you are saying that from roughly 2012 when the H2 was introduced to 2016 when the H3 was released the hardware in the H2 has never been updated or changed in any way? They are all identical? From the first production run up to when they stopped? If i got an H2 installed now, its the same as what came off the line in 2012? I do have another question, are they doing hardware changes to the H2 now to compensate for the update if they are sent in for repair? Like a refurbishing? Or do they just get a little dusting and sent back? Also, what kind of problems did you encounter after the update?

Chadt4141
Associate Producer
I’ve had the H3 since it’s inception, but that is correct. There has not been any new receivers made or designed to the H2 since production of the H3.
As far as refurbishing, it is refurbished with the same components when it comes back. Basically a like for like.

harsh
Extra

There may have been some component substitutions (mostly different hard drives) but it's otherwise the same basic hardware.

The competition subcontracts out design of their receivers to the respective manufacturer so there may be fairly fundamental differences among devices with the same model designation.

Chadt4141
Associate Producer
The basic difference is that whatever production warehouse it’s coming from. Parts may be made in china, Mexico, Korea, etc. the actual components themselves are the same. You will not see things like better processors.

Scarlyt
Character Actor

I would be really surprised if you had gotten a free upgrade to a newer model receiver.  Many of us are still stuck with the old 722 series because we can't justify the cost of a huge fee to pay to upgrade to newer and supported tech.  Then again, I seriously surprised to find that even the Hopper 3 has the same very limited and now unuseable requirements for external hard drives (the WD 2TB My Book that's supported hasn't been made in well over a year, with no other brands making any similar ones either now).  They don't keep up fully with tech, and they expect us to pay out the yin yang for upgrades.  I'm not sure how you heard that you were getting a free upgrade when they don't do that.

Chadt4141
Associate Producer
They do do free upgrades to the H3. Not sure why you believe they do not. Also, there is no requirement for it to be a Western digital. Any brand will work.