Hopper with Sling Picture Quality on 4k Television?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hopper with Sling Picture Quality on 4k Television?

Greetings all.

I just bought the Vizio M70-E3 this weekend to replace an LG from 2011 that died on me. The LG was perfectly acceptable to me. HD looked good and I had no complaints. I am using a Hopper with sling on the television.

I set up the M70 and it does not look good. I spent a good deal of time trying different calibration settings and nothing really changed. The HD is not sharp and the colors are not vibrant. Keep in mind I'm not talking about any 4k content, just normal 1080 through the Hopper. It looks like a washed out hybrid of SD and DVD quality.

Frustrated, I tried the netflix from the casting app (normal HD) and it looked great. It tried my ps4 and it looked great. I tried a bluray and it looked great so my problem seems to be from my Dish setup. I brought in my son's small television (720 I believe) and hooked it up to the hopper and it was fine.

Believing this was a Dish problem I spoke to them and after several troubleshooting attempts, they said that maybe if I got a 4k joey it would improve the picture. They indicated that this has worked in the past but I really don't see how that would improve the 1080 programming.

Any advice would be appreciated. Is this a 4k issue? A Dish issue? A Vizio issue? A connection issue (HDMI)? Do I need the Hopper 3?

I really want to fix this as it is frustrating to say the least.

Thanks for any help.
4 Replies

Re: Hopper with Sling Picture Quality on 4k Television?

Chadt41411
Casting Director
The Hopper3 does being a little to the table, as far as picture quality, but as far as picture quality goes, you're comparing 1080P in full aspect, to 1080i and HD-Lite.

tommyy2
Audio Engineer
Picture Quality is an issue I've been looking at for a while, especially on 4k sets.

I've read posts where going from Hopper2 to Hopper3 improved picture quality, I've also read posts saying the move to Hopper3 caused picture quality to get significantly worse.

Some say setting Hopper output to 720P actually improved the picture on their 4k sets (a quick look may be worth doing).

Does on demand viewing look any better than satellite broadcasts?

Probably the most likely cause of satellite broadcasts looking bad is the amount of video compression used. Higher compression will cause a lot of issues and a 4k set may make all those issues much more visible. With a set amount of bandwidth the more channels provided means less bandwidth per channel so more compression is required, and they always advertise more and more channels. Providers can allocate bandwidth so that their priority channels (pay, HBO etc) can look better by getting more bandwidth and less compression but then some other channels will look even worse. I've read some posts saying DTV uses less compression than Dish does, is it true, I for one would like to know for sure.

If you opt for a Hopper3 upgrade I would not sign anything until I saw an improved picture coming from the Hopper3. Be aware that signing any of the installers docs means you accept it and you will be stuck paying for it for the next 2 years, no matter what he may tell you!

Good luck

Please keep us posted on how the situation develops, I for one would really like to know.

tommyy2
Audio Engineer
Chad,

"HD-LITE"

I had to look that one up to find out that it's the original signals that are compressed for transmission to the satellite also found:

"HD-Lite" programming is perceptibly worse than the original HDTV broadcast, to the point where the degradation is discernible absent a direct (A/B) comparison against the original source.[citation needed] Distortion (caused by the operator) is characterized by reduced sharpness, reduced detail, excessive compression artifacts (mosquito noise and blocking), and in some cases, alteration of the color-palette. The reduced video quality is assumed to be introduced by the sat/cable operator's handling of the source video (recompression.)

I sure would like to know who provides the least compression on their feeds.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
tommyy2 wrote:
Chad,

"HD-LITE"

I had to look that one up to find out that it's the original signals that are compressed for transmission to the satellite also found:

"HD-Lite" programming is perceptibly worse than the original HDTV broadcast, to the point where the degradation is discernible absent a direct (A/B) comparison against the original source.[citation needed] Distortion (caused by the operator) is characterized by reduced sharpness, reduced detail, excessive compression artifacts (mosquito noise and blocking), and in some cases, alteration of the color-palette. The reduced video quality is assumed to be introduced by the sat/cable operator's handling of the source video (recompression.)

I sure would like to know who provides the least compression on their feeds.

Anything streaming. I cannot remember the exacts, but full HD is something like 1080x1920 whereas Dish is 1080x1480.