cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hopper will not accept ip address

motoracer47
Extra

Hi,

I cannot get my hopper to connect to my network. I am attempting to connect through wifi.  The hopper is able to see my network, I am able to input the network password, but when it connects to my network, the hopper refuses to accept the ip address that my router assigns, and the hopper asigns itself a ip address that is completely out of my networks ip address range, and therefore will not connect to the internet. I have attempted to assign a static ip address to the hopper through my router, and again, the hopper will reject this address, and assign its own address.  Why is the hopper doing this? I do not use the typical residential ip address ranges , and I do that for a reason, and do not plan on changing that. My home network is in the 10.63.12.** range, and the hopper keeps assigning iteself 169.254.234.198.  Where is this ip coming from? Why will it not accept an ip address in the 10.63.12.10-10.63.12.99 range? 

Thanks,

Brad

3 Replies

Re: Hopper will not accept ip address

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
A static IP address will likely keep causing issues, but as advanced as the Hopper is, I believe it is still very limited to only accepting the IP address for the general public. If your router creates a VPN, it will likely refuse the IP as well.

DISH Employee

Hi, Motoracer47! The Hopper is only designed to run on standard residential WiFi and won't accept static IP's, you may be able to get it to accept an assigned IP from your router, but it is not something that we would be able to support. 

DISH Employee

Hey Motoracer47, you could look at doing a couple things.

First, you can try setting up a repeater (sometimes people call them extenders) to basically rebroadcast your existing wifi network.  The router doing that can then have a normal IP range, the hopper can connect, use the normal range, but your repeater then connects to your original router using an ip it assigns.  This gets the Hopper connected through "normal" IP, but the traffic ultimately comes from your original router.

Second, you can look into having Dish install what is called a Hopper Broadband Connector.  It is a seperate device that can connect directly to your router via Ethernet, and shares the connection over the MoCA network with the Hopper and Joey's.  I can't promise this would work, but it is a possible thing to try.

Beyond that like others said, we don't really support static IP, or custom IP configurations.