Hopper w/ Sling resets multiple times per day

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hopper w/ Sling resets multiple times per day

AggieJustin
Costume Designer

Our Hopper w/ Sling has started resetting itself multiple times per day.  Sometimes it will freeze up on a black screen while interacting with it (i.e. scrolling through guide, changing channels, etc).  Other times there is no interaction and suddenly the screen will go blank for a while, then it goes to the start-up screen and shows that it is restarting.

Is there any log that shows why it's resetting?  Any known fixes?

12 Replies

Re: Hopper w/ Sling resets multiple times per day

DISH Employee

Hi, AggieJustin. This could be caused either by a power issue or, in some causes, overheating. Let's check a few things really quick. Is the green light on the front of your Hopper solid or is it blinking?

AggieJustin
Costume Designer

The light is solid green.  I've been through the troubleshooting with multiple techs via the chat, but so far no resolution and no one can identify a cause.

DISH Employee

We most commonly see this caused by overheating of the receiver, e.g.the receiver being located in an enclosed/confined area where it can't circulate cool air. Or from inconsistent electrical output. We recommend replacing any surge protectors older than two years.

If neither of those apply to your receiver, it could possibly be a processing error on the Hopper's part; though, this is quite rare. Have any of our representatives walked you through performing a partial, factory reset of the receiver?

AggieJustin
Costume Designer

I did a partial reset last week, but the problem was not resolved.

Is there a way to see what the reason for the reset is?  In the Diagnostic area of the menu, I see a count of resets.  The only column with a number is 'Internal', there is nothing under the other areas.

DISH Employee

That partial reset cleared the reset history. Power is when the receiver resets upon recovering from loss of power, Front Panel is reset initiated from the red button, Network would be any resets initiated by our technical support, and Internal would be any resets as a result of nightly updates. Did our support by chance verify that your Hopper had the most recent software version?

AggieJustin
Costume Designer

No, they did not ask about the version.  It currently shows U248.

DISH Employee

Is the receiver plugged into a power strip/surge protector? If so, did you plug it directly into the electrical outlet to see if this would resolve your issue?

AggieJustin
Costume Designer

Moving it to the wall outlet did not affect the issue.

DISH Employee

Can you send me a Private Message with the phone number and 4 digit PIN on your account so that I can access your account?