Hopper w/ Sling Spontaneously Resets and Won't Record

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hopper w/ Sling Spontaneously Resets and Won't Record

mhicaoidh
Character Actor
I am a new Dish customer (less than a week), and I switch to Dish because of the praise I'd heard about their technology. But, that technology has been problematic since day one. Everything was installed on 12/29, and things seemed to be working well. The Hopper recorded, played back, etc.

That late afternoon I was scrolling through the Guide, and the screen went black for a long while, and then the Hopper is starting up screen appeared. Once it came back up, things seemed normal again.

The next day, it happened while recording shows in PTAT. Once it came back up the shows resumed recording ... albeit with a 5 minute gap.

The next day we were just watching live TV, and the Hopper reset ... again. This was a moderate inconvenience at that time.

But, when I got home the evening of 1/1, I found that the 5 shows that were set to record did not record. According to the Schedule, they recorded (green check marks), however, they are not present on my DVR. I noted that one of the shows should have still been recording (10 min left in the program), but there was no red light on the front of the Hopper.

I tried to manually set a recording, and the onscreen display says it's recording. I get a red dot on the Guide entry. But, there is no red light on the front of the Hopper, and no show being written to my Recordings.

This is the state my Hopper is still in. It thinks its recording, it's tying up the tuners, but it's not actually recording anything. I called the support number, and they told me that it's a known software issue that people have been experiencing for 3 weeks now, and there's no date on a solution. They had me unplug it (which I have done multiple times), push the red reset button (again, multiple times), and also do a Reset to Factory Defaults. No joy. On two occasions I have received a 1281 Error setting timer, but most of the time it goes through the motions of successful recording (sans red light and actual recording).

I asked about getting a replacement box, and they said no because the new box would just do this too. I asked, "so, all of your customers have this issue then?" The nice lady didn't have a good answer for that. She advised me to "try it again in a few days" and see.

This is unacceptable. I cancelled working service with another company because of all the good things I heard about Dish and their technology.

Since the box was at least recording on the 29th, and that's the date of the last software update, I have to suspect at least that there's something more than a software issue going on here. From reading other posts about spontaneous restarts, a hard drive issue seems possible (coupled with the lack of writing the recordings), but the Hard Drive tests Okay on the Status page.

What can you do for me here that phone support can't? Or should I just cut my losses and call my old provider back, and have all this great, non-working technology removed from my property?

Hopper w/ Sling Info

Software version: U224 12/29/2016, 7:43 PM
Boot Strap Version: 1515
Application Software: AN240
Transceiver Firmware: 0060
6 Replies

Re: Hopper w/ Sling Spontaneously Resets and Won't Record

We want everything to work as much as you and it should not be rebooting like this. Do you have this plugged into a power strip or a surge protector? If yes, please plug the receiver directly into the wall or a different power outlet
---------------------------------
Matt "Speedy" Gonzales | Moderator

mhicaoidh
Character Actor
Thanks for the reply. I have tried multiple outlets.

mhicaoidh wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I have tried multiple outlets.

Please send me a private message with your phone number and 4 digit PIN

mhicaoidh
Character Actor
It's not my day, I guess. I attempted to send you a PM twice, and receive the following page when I hit send:

The requested URL was rejected. Please consult with your administrator.

Your support ID is: 6053229296301205928

I don't know if you were still able to receive them.

I did change the outlet again, though, and shows are still not being written to the DVR when it says they are recording, and there is no red light on the front of the Hopper.

I'll send you a PM. It does not like special characters in the message for some reason

mhicaoidh
Character Actor
Just to update people searching in the future so they have good information:

It looks like a box replacement solved the lack of ability to record. Scheduled timers would say they recorded, but nothing on the DVR afterward. This has not been an issue on the new box.

However, while the spontaneous restarting was less on the new box, it did still occur a few times. Moving the plug around to additional power outlets eventually resolved this issue. So, spontaneous restarting does appear to be linked to power issues.