Hopper shows twice on internet admin system

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hopper shows twice on internet admin system

BarbEG
Character Actor
Can someone please explain to me why the hopper shows twice on the internet admin program

hopper2-wifi
hopper2-br

Since I only have 1 hopper and seems like CS couldn't answer it -- would like to know prior to sending in a dispute resolutions on this issue

Little Background -- Last month tech was out here - to finally replace the crap that had been bad for almost 2 yrs because no one at dish would listen to me about problems

3 hoppers and 3 joeys later and a change of the dish equipment - I finally at the end of my contract have stuff that works --- I dealt with crap from Dish for almost 2 yrs -- so I am not happy camper when it comes to Dish at all --

So if no one can explain this to me - means

if there are actually 2 hoppers connected to my internet - means 1) someone has the crappy hopper I had and are using it that is close by - since we know Dish didn't get it back because they were going to charge me for something the tech picked up ---
9 Replies

Re: Hopper shows twice on internet admin system

Community Manager
Community Manager
Can you send me a private message with your account number and four digit security code? I'll gladly review your account.

BarbEG
Character Actor
Thanks Chris

Sent

Irish Shark
Character Actor
The Hopper is showing twice because there are two IP address for it or it is sharing one.

The Hopper gets an IP for the -BR one because that is the Bridge Mode that the Hopper uses to pass the Internet to the Joeys over the MoCA connection.

The secont one -WiFi is the IP your router is giving the Hopper since it is connected in wireless mode. If it was direct connected to the router it will also get an IP.

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
The WiFi can be disabled on the Hopper if you don't have any Joeys or using Wifi on the Hopper. I have to Joeys however they are LAN cable connected to the Hopper 3 so Bridge can be disabled on my system. I get one IP address per unit.

BarbEG
Character Actor
Thanks Irish

the hopper2-wifi and hopper2-br -- is just the hopper then with 2 different IP addresses is what you are saying. Strange that it would need 2 ip addresses and the joey another one -- I have never known 1 device to take 2 ip addresses in all the years I have worked around computers. And the techs told me the hopper should only be showing up once on my ip admin page. They get data from the hopper to tell them if there are any problems -- I laughed at that one since no one knew I had a tuner out before they switched out the hopper the last time.

example my laptop is wifi- but also can plug it in - much faster that way -- but always only 1 ip address used - because the internet will use the one config that you choose -- either wired or wi-fi

Thanks Bimmer -- Actually I did disable it there for a while - but he wanted to watch on demand ;) so had to enable it again. But what worries me is the 2 ip addresses for the hopper -- I can't run a lan connection that far or I would but afraid he would trip over cables or pull things out if they get caught in his scooter wheel.

thanks again guys -- :D

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
Each connection mode on the Hopper and Joey is a separate connection device. So if your going to run wifi and joeys on MoCa or Wireless, then each of these connection methods needs to have it's own IP address. It's ok if your router see's this. There actually two physical connections and separate MAC hardware addresses, thus one IP address per MAC address.

You could set IP address reservations on your main host router for these that way each time the Hopper and Joey is turned on, they get the same IP address each time.

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
I also notice now that my Hopper 3 shows a BR, Wireless connections on my router. Last time I looked the wireless was disabled. :? Never have had the wireless enabled. ;)

shspvr
Camera Crew
BarbEG don't worry about it, it normal from time to time I see as well

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
I see that new SW had been applied to mine. I'll check my router and see if anything has changed. ;)