Hopper recording no picture- black screen

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hopper recording no picture- black screen

longtimecust1995
Camera Crew
In addition to all the problems with the new software similar to what others have reported:

Yesterday, 5 out of 6 recordings were a black screen with no picture. I was able to fast forward, pause etc., but the recordings were a black screen. When i pressed DVR (during any of the 5 bad recordings) the screen started to brighten up. [b:136a6764]Edit:[/b:136a6764] This behavior suggested that attempts to play back the bad recordings was putting the receiver into a sleep/screen saver mode (the music channels go into a screen saver/sleep mode if no activity for set # of minutes)

Could the above problem be related to not getting an update during a power outage?

If the satellite power is turned off (with remote) on the joey and hopper, how long does it take for a daily update to start? If receiver standby is set to 2 hours, does it take an additional 2 hours after turning power off on receivers or does it try to update within 5 minutes? Should there be a visual "Updating" on the screen to indicate the receiver is receiving its daily update? I seen a flash on the screen for a second but it was too fast to read.
4 Replies

Re: Hopper recording no picture- black screen

tdiguy
Costume Designer
You can have the hopper check for up update under menue, diagnostics, tools, and there should be a option there to check for an update.
Mind you so far every time i have used this it gives me a message i already have the latest firmware and i am not sure where i can go to verify this other than using this tool in the hopper.

longtimecust1995
Camera Crew
tdiguy wrote:
You can have the hopper check for up update under menue, diagnostics, tools, and there should be a option there to check for an update.
Mind you so far every time i have used this it gives me a message i already have the latest firmware and i am not sure where i can go to verify this other than using this tool in the hopper.

Thanks for the reply, but that's not the update I was referring to. The hopper receives regular updates every night (to its existing software) while its in stand by mode. These are guide updates, as well as other unknown updates. Its possible that our hopper malfunctioned because it couldn't go into stand by. (we have it set to go into stand by mode after being idle 2 hours in the settings) This was due to a power outage which (after power was restored) the tv was turned on before 2 hours elapsed preventing the hopper from getting its nightly update.

I am only speculating that this could be the cause for the failed recordings that day (4/25/17) This problem has not reoccurred in the last 3 days.

peggyrh
Associate Producer
Hoppers do not get software updates every night, guide data gets checked but software is only updated occasionally (my H3 seems to update software about 6-8 weeks).

longtimecust1995
Camera Crew
I agree not software updates. But Dish representatives have never clarified exactly what the nightly updates are except "guide and other things," so its not clear.