Hopper randomly drops audio.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hopper randomly drops audio.

SCClockDr
Extra
When watching a DVR or LiveTV program there is a momentary pixulation & the audio goes silent. Skipping back 10 seconds restores the previously missing audio & all is well till the next random event.

I use HDMI exclusively, Hopper>receiver>TV.

Am I in need of a new hopper?
18 Replies

Re: Hopper randomly drops audio.

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
If there is any sort of pixelation and audio drop during this time frame, usually means there is signal interference from the Dish that will cause video and momentary loss of audio sync on the TV or AVR. If this happens frequently, you might have a tech or support check signal at the hopper with the dish out side to make sure signals are good. Some causes of interference are bad storms or snow on dish.

Make sure your hopper is located in a well ventilated area as it generates some heat.

olds4422
Audio Engineer
I have had audio drop out few time lately, but I think that has something to do with the bug that randomly increase and decrease the volume on channels, it almost like volume leveling is going on and off

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
I haven't seen any issues like this...only issue was seen with a signal interruption as I see video drop out which also causes audio to drop.

SCClockDr
Extra
It is not signal related because it occurred watching a DVR replay and skipping back restores the audio that was previously absent. So the data was there in the first place. Seems like a disk read issue. If I watch a program multiple times and there is a drop event it will occur at differing points with each viewing. There is often no issue through an entire program or several.

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
Does the audio drop in the same place after you rewind back the play? If is the same spot then source was corrupt from the download. If not, then possible that your unit maybe faulty. I just watched an entire series saved on my H3 over the weekend. Nothing seen like this. However my Audio comes from the optical cable to my AVR. You might try optical cable for audio and see if the same thing happens, if it does, then I would ask DISH to review this. If you need a new unit, be sure to save off your video files to a external 2Tb max sized USB drive before the new unit arrives.

zeus61
Extra
I've had the same audio drop issue for the last several months. While watching a recorded program, the audio will drop for a few seconds. If you skip back once and start viewing again, the audio is now there. Doesn't happen all the time, just enough to be a nuisance.

Just chalked it up to another annoying bug (among others), that will hopefully get fixed eventually.

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
Not happening on my Hopper. Something you might want to contact DISH support about. Could be a HW issue.

How is your audio connected? HDMI or Optical?

zeus61 wrote:
I've had the same audio drop issue for the last several months. While watching a recorded program, the audio will drop for a few seconds. If you skip back once and start viewing again, the audio is now there. Doesn't happen all the time, just enough to be a nuisance.

Just chalked it up to another annoying bug (among others), that will hopefully get fixed eventually.

logdog
Audio Engineer
I've had the same issue for the past week with my H3. Random pixelation, audio drop, CC drop and occasional signal loss popup. Signal strength was 69-70 and no weather event. Hard reset Friday cleared things up for a few days but problems came back yesterday. Called tech support and they had me unplug my coax and ran diagnostics. Everything looked fine. Couple of hours later, pixelation came back on one of my fresh recordings.

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
How is your Audio set up and connected? HDMI or Optical?

Something you will want to follow up with DISH support or contact one of the Forum Moderators in [b:2zwr1ndk]Green[/b:2zwr1ndk] about..

logdog wrote:
I've had the same issue for the past week with my H3. Random pixelation, audio drop, CC drop and occasional signal loss popup. Signal strength was 69-70 and no weather event. Hard reset Friday cleared things up for a few days but problems came back yesterday. Called tech support and they had me unplug my coax and ran diagnostics. Everything looked fine. Couple of hours later, pixelation came back on one of my fresh recordings.