Hopper creating ETH connections in my router

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Hopper creating ETH connections in my router

DISH Employee

Have you looked in your Hopper settings to see if the bridging is turned on? You can get there by pressing the Home button 2 times on the Hopper remote, then select Settings>Internet> Advanced. 

Yes it’s turned on

DISH Employee

Thank you for checking on that. I will absolutely add you to the list of people affected by this router issue. The more information we get, the easier for our Engineering Team to recreate and find a permanent solution. 

To make sure your account is flagged as being affect by this, I will need to access your account information. Please send me a private message so I can securely access your account. Here is the link to walk you through the steps of sending a private message: https://communities.dish.com/t5/Communities-101/How-To-Send-a-Private-Message/td-p/15039

trbennett
Extra
I too am experiencing this problem.

Environment:
- hopper with sling
- one Joey
- bridging is ON
- Ethernet connection only
- Settings->internet->basic shows
Connection type: Ethernet Top
- Settings->Internet ->Advanced shows
bridging On
In my router connection page (active & inactive) I see many (over 10) connections named Hopper2-ETH1 each with a different MAC address.

DISH Employee

Hi there, Trbennett! Is this issue causing you delays or problems with viewing On-Demand content, or other internet based features with your receiver? If so, are you seeing any error messages or codes? That would help us narrow down the root cause. 

wildcat1580
Character Actor
I eventually gave up on this. Nobody could figure it out and the best suggestion was to add another wireless router just for the dish hardware so it wouldn’t bring down my whole network. I just reboot the router at least once a week to stop it. It’s be nice if Dish engineers could actually fix the issue.

DISH Employee

I will be happy to pass along your details to let them know that this has been an ongoing issue for you. Thanks for letting us know! 

trbennett
Extra
It is NOT causing a problem with on-demand, or Netflix. My router keeps a list af successfully connected devices... and I’m afraid it is exceeding the capacity of its internal connection table, and causing unknown side effects. That is clearly a router issue, but it would never happen if hopper2-eth1 didn’t exhibit this behavior.

DISH Employee

Can you please give me some examples of the side effects you are seeing with your home network and with your DISH equipment? 

wildcat1580
Character Actor
My internet gets super slow. When I check the router I find 10-20 hopper instances all with the same IP address. Rebooting the router fixes it temporarily.