Hopper creating ETH connections in my router

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hopper creating ETH connections in my router

MichaelK
Character Actor

I've been noticing some strangeness in my router over the last few months -- my Hopper is creating new ETH connections.
The Hopper has these entries in my router: Hopper2-ETH1, Hopper2-br, Joey-MoCA. I'll call them the 'proper connections'.
These new connections have the same IP address as the ETH1 connection -- but a different MAC address.
I noticed several yesterday; I rebooted the router, and checked -- back to the 3 proper connections. I checked today, and saw 1 new connection!

Has anyone experienced this? What's going on?

I don't know if it creates a new one each day (and then the router hits its connection limit).

12 Replies

Re: Hopper creating ETH connections in my router

DISH Employee
Are both Hoppers connected to the router? I'm assuming at least one is by Ethernet?

MichaelK
Character Actor
PhoenixM wrote:
Are both Hoppers connected to the router? I'm assuming at least one is by Ethernet?

Why do you think I have 2 Hoppers?
I have 1 Hopper and 1 Joey. Yes, the Hopper is connected by Ethernet.

update
I just checked my router -- another new connection showed up this morning. So, I now have 2 'extra' connections. Note that they have  the same IP address as my Hopper2 connection. Another interesting note is that ALL of these connections have a different MAC address.
I'm keeping a file of the log entries when the extra connections appear.

wildcat1580
Character Actor

I'm seeing the same thing.  Once the duplicates start popping up my network degradates very quickly.  Rebooting the routing fixes it but the duplicates come back within 24 hours.  Has anyone figured this out?

DISH Employee

Wildcat1580, do you have the Hopper with Sling or Hopper 3? Also, is your Hopper connected via wifi or through an Ethernet connection? 

wildcat1580
Character Actor
Hi Christina,

I have the Hopper with Sling. The hopper is plugged into the network, not WiFi.

DISH Employee

Do you have a Hopper and a Joey? What do the different addresses read as?
If you press the Menu button twice on your Hopper remote, then go to Internet on the left side of the screen then Internet Settings> Advanced at the top of the screen, is Bridging On or Off? 

wildcat1580
Character Actor
We have a Hopper with Sling and 4 joeys. The devices duplicate on my network with the same IP address but different MAC addresses. When this happens my network slows to a crawl and I have to reset my router to drop all the extra connections. Everything is fine if I don’t connect any of the dish equipment to the internet. Yes, bridge is on.

DISH Employee

Thank you for that wildcat1580.

You mentioned that your Hopper is connected by Ethernet. If your Hopper has ever been connected to your network through an internal/external wireless adapter its possible that it may also be communicating with your router. If you haven't already done so, we recommend navigating to:

Menu > Settings > Internet

From the Internet Settings menu, verify that your connection Type is not listed as wireless.

In the same vein, we won't want any Joeys connected by ethernet either.

shadowgrass
Extra

I have hopper with sling and one joey. I just noticed I have 56 ADDITIONAL "devices" for the hopper. All have same IP and different MAC. What is going on?

Wireless on hopper is not configured. Wired connection only.

Bridge is ON.