Hopper changing my TV to a station of their choice

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hopper changing my TV to a station of their choice

rescuegirl
Extra
I fall asleep at night watching Forensics and when I wake up my TV has changed channels to "HLN" station on its own while the remote is on the night stand. Each week that passes it is happening all the time and I DO NOT like the fact that Dish is controlling what my TV is broadcasting in my home. I know for a fact Dish is changing my channels in the middle of the night. This has happened at least 20 times and they deny it. Does anyone know who I should report this to because it seems to me it is an invasion of privacy? Going to check into this Monday morning. If other people are having the same issue please post a response. I have done a lot of research via internet and have found many people complaining about this too.
9 Replies

Re: Hopper changing my TV to a station of their choice

stile99
Cinematographer
Since you've done your research, of course you know about the Power On setting. What do you currently have it set to?

bobknob
Costume Designer
This too me a while to figure out. Even though there are many tuners on the hopper, for some dumb reason, they can be shared by other receivers; makes ZERO sense to me.

If I was watching a specific show in one room, I would walk into my father-in-laws room and notice that the channel was on the same one as mine in the am. He was not able to change the channel on his own, so I KNOW for a fact that it was not him.

As the "helpful people" in this forum stated to me, this is a "feature" of the hopper system.

Enjoy!!!!!

Chadt41411
Casting Director
That's called Whole Home Viewing. Instead of tying up multiple tuners for 1 channel, two tvs can share a tuner for the same channel. Think of people that only have 3 tuners. It's the same software across the 3 Hoppers, for the most part.

As far as it changing channels, likely just needs to have the power on preference changed. There is a default one, which will go to widely viewed, but it can be set to a few different options, as described above.

bobknob
Costume Designer
Chadt4141 wrote:
That's called Whole Home Viewing. Instead of tying up multiple tuners for 1 channel, two tvs can share a tuner for the same channel. Think of people that only have 3 tuners. It's the same software across the 3 Hoppers, for the most part.

As far as it changing channels, likely just needs to have the power on preference changed. There is a default one, which will go to widely viewed, but it can be set to a few different options, as described above.

What if I didn't want it to share? There is no way to make it not share, correct?

Don't I get to say what is being watched in what room? Why is it up to dish to decide that the bedroom and living room should be on the same channel?

Chadt41411
Casting Director
It is your choice. They can join the channel, or they can change to a different channel. It's merely a way to make the receiver open to do more things.

bobknob
Costume Designer
Chadt4141 wrote:
It is your choice. They can join the channel, or they can change to a different channel. It's merely a way to make the receiver open to do more things.

Or....and I am just spitballing here.....it could NOT change the channel in the other room....????

Chadt41411
Casting Director
bobknob wrote:
Chadt4141 wrote:

Or....and I am just spitballing here.....it could NOT change the channel in the other room....????

It doesn't.

bobknob
Costume Designer
Chadt4141 wrote:
bobknob wrote:
Chadt4141 wrote:

It doesn't.

It DOES and it it DID!!!! Read!!!!!

Chadt41411
Casting Director
Only if all tuners were being used...