Hopper Will Not Recognize External Hard Drive

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Hopper Will Not Recognize External Hard Drive

DISH Employee

Thank you for the information, Cedhoward. I will make sure to forward this to our Engineers so, we can work to get this resolved. Once they investigate and resolve the issue it should be pushed to your Hopper 3, as a nightly update. Thank you for all your patience while we work towards fixing this!

sdmf74
Extra

Same issue here v510 or 511 broke the external HDD capability! I have a Seagate external usb 3.0 HDD with seperate PSU and it stopped working as well, I was able to get the Hopper to ask for a reformat ONCE but it did not do anything. Still will not se my HDD

cronrath
Extra

I am also experiencing this issue - external HDD (that I ahd been using for nearly 4 years) was no longer being recognized by my Hopper2 with Sling.  Initially called tech support two weeks ago, and the agent did his best to verify the problem.  He logged onto my receiver remotely and verified that the HDD does not appear.  We attempted the following:  (1) full system reboot; (2) switching USB ports two in the back & the front; (3) connecting other USB devices to the receiver.  Nothing worked.  We came to the joint conclusion that it must be either the software or the receiver itself.  Scheduled a service call for a tech to check it out onsite.

Service call today... The tech appeared to be pretty new.  After trying to upsell me to a new surge protector and upgraded HDMI cable (I told him that I have HDMI 1.4b and no 4K TV, so HDMI upgrade was not necessary.  He asked me what is HDMI 1.4?)   Anyway... I walked him through all the previous troubleshooting done over the phone two weeks earlier & he went out to the truck for another receiver.  When he came back in, I asked if we'd be able to transfer all of my recordings from one HopperSling to the new one.  He said that I'd be starting from scratch with the new receiver.  I told him I was told otherwise previously over the phone.  So he hooks up the new receiver & attempts to use a USB cable to connect the two receivers to transfer recordings.  I told him that he should be using an ethernet cable - he disagreed until I told him I just found the "how to" on the DISH website.

Long story short... the new receiver didn't recognize the HDD either.  At that point, he (and his boss on the phone) agreed that it must be a software issue... unless it is my HDD (Seagate, 2TB, non-flash, self-powered).  Basically the same model that DISH would sell me for $100 off the truck.  If not sofware, my only assumption is that it's the HDD itself.  But the tech was unwilling to conduct that test with one of the HDDs on his truck.

When the new receiver didn't fix the problem, I told him to reactivate my old receiver.  I mean, why should I have to re-create my 4+ years of personalization... timers, personalized channel lineups, and other tweaks?  He argued the point, but I made him change it back anyway.

Finally, I inquired as to when DISH would have a solution to the issue with the software upgrade, and he (and his boss on the phone) said that DISH was not currently aware of the issue.  This tread suggests otherwise.  Hopefully, someone at DISH reads this site and can provide guidance.

My equipment:  HopperSling, initially activated December 27, 2013

Software Version:  U249  6/6/2018 12:26AM

Bootstrap Version:  1513

Application Software:  AN 324

HDD:  Seagate Model SRD00F2 Expansion Desktop Drive

DISH Employee

I am sorry for all of the confusion with the tech today, however I am seeing that this is a known issue that we are working to resolve. Not all Hard drives are affected, however I would like to get your account information so that I am able to add it to the list impacted list. If you can send me your phone number, & security pin in a private message that would be great.

kaminskico
Extra

Hello, I have been stalking this thread because I am also affected by the problem.  I am able to get the hard drive recognized by unplugging both the Hopper and the hard drive and then powering everything back up.  I am able to transfer recordings to the hard drive.  After some unknown amount of time, the hard drive will no longer be recognized.  Do you have an update on the resolution to this known issue?

Thanks

DISH Employee

Hi kaminskico. There isn't a scheduled resolution for the external hard drive issue just yet. Actually, our engineers are asking for additional information about the accounts affected and the types of hard drives being used so that they can try to track the scope of the problem. If you'd like, I can report your specific feedback to them so that they can add it to their research. Could you please send me a Private Message including the phone number and 4 digit PIN on your account so I may access your information?

Ltrane2003
Extra
My hopper 3 is having the same issue with External Hard Drive. The Hopper does not recognize it anymore. I have been using this hard drive for a few years so I know its compatible.

DISH Employee

Ltrane2003, for this known issue, I will need to add your account to our escalation form to let our Engineer Team know you are having this same issue. This will allow our team to target your equipment once a resolution is found. Can you please send me a Private Message with your phone number and 4-digit pin to submit your account?  

DK
Character Actor
Is this the Maxtor EHD you had success with?

Seagate
2.8 out of 5 stars 9 Reviews
Maxtor OneTouch 4 - 320 GB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive STM303203OTA3E1-RK

DK
Character Actor
Maxtor OneTouch 4 - 320 GB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive STM303203OTA3E1-RK