Hopper Will Not Recognize External Hard Drive

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Hopper Will Not Recognize External Hard Drive

DISH Employee

Awesome to hear @KachinaShadow, I am glad that experiment worked out and both drives are now stable on your system!

rbignardi
Extra

I have a WD 1TB ehd which was formatted by a VIP722K.  I switched to hopper 3 with sling about 6 months ago.  I plugged my ehd into my hopper 3 and it was recognized immediately.  Since then it has been working just fine.  All my recordings were seen, and I have been using it frequently.  I've added recordings with no problem.  About a month ago, it disappeared.  When I disconnect the ehd, hopper 3 tells me that the ehd is not formatted for dish and wants me to reformat.  If I do, all my recordings will be lost.  I've tried disconnecting the dvr and reconnecting it, removing the smart card and plugging it back in, resetting the dvr, disconnecting the ehd and plugging it back in.  Nothing works.  I have 2 hopper 3's with sling.  I tried plugging the ehd in to that one with the same results.  I have a second ehd (not a WD) 500mb.  It is recognized by both of my dvr's.  I've called dish teck support, and they could not solve the problem.  The tech suggested that I try copying the files to my pc, reformatting and transfer the files back.  PC sets up my hard drive, but doesn't see anything because it is not formatted to windows.  Can anyone help?

DISH Employee

rbignardi, this is usually caused by a hard drive error and it is irreversible. At this point the best suggestion is to reformat the EHD if you plan on continuing to use it with your Hopper. 

rbignardi
Extra

That is disappointing.  I have recordings on the ehd that took me years to aquire.  Thanks

ACKNICKERBOCKER
Camera Crew

I strongly suggest you DO NOT reformat your hard drive and lose your content.

Take a look at the long list of users reporting problems with dish DVRs, and note the frequency of the complaints, and Dish's complete failure to address the issue even though it has been reported for over 2 years.

As a former software developer experienced in problem isolation and resolution, I assert this is  a Dish problem and they simply refuse to rectify it.

Note the large number of users with brand new, in-spec driver that fail when connecting to Dish DVRs, but work fine with PCs.

If you reformat your drive, it will be for no purpose. 

ACKNICKERBOCKER
Camera Crew

To clarify: 

if you reformat your drive and attempt to use it with a Dish DVR, it is overwhelmingly likely that it will still fail, and now you will have lost your content. Even if it does work, the results will be short-lived; 

Please read the posts in this thread going back 2+ years - there is a long history of this travesty. 

Dish is not being honest on this issue. 

dbax42
Camera Crew

It is my understanding that if you reformat any drive you will lose all the data on that drive, so I am not understanding the warning?

I know that when I switched Hoppers 3 -- our first one was acting up, or so we thought, and the tech came out and replace it with a new one, which is working fine, but the external harddrive could not be read on the replacement Hopper.  It seems the external are not universal to all Hoppers but are keyed to the Hopper from which your recordings were made.  We were asked to reformat the external drive and know that we would lose all content on that drive.  It was not a problem for us, however, as we were a new install and had very little content on the external drive.  Still, it would be a huge bummer if we had to replace the Hopper again, because we have lots of recordings on the External.  I can see this as a problem in the future.  If the Hopper fails or what if we want to upgrade to a better or newer machine down the line?  There should be some way to resync the External Drive with any new machine of replacement repair -- that is something I would like to see.  

ACKNICKERBOCKER
Camera Crew

This is not a problem with your hard drive. Too many users have reported this issue for too long, and the suggested fixes from Dish are ineffective and sometimes nonsensical.

i specifically got a replacement hopper3 that recognized my hard drive, created with the 1st hopper3, for about a week....then it stopped seeing that any hard drive was attached.

Almost every combination of tests, hardware changes, and troubleshooting imaginable has been attempted by users in this forum, and the results do not address the issue except in a few rare instances, and then only temporarily.

This is a Dish software/hardware problem that they refuse to correct.

Dont just take my word for it - read through all the posts over the last 2 years. No other conclusion can be made, and Dish refuses to comment on it.

They need to either fix it or state they are unable or unwilling to do so.

I have no idea why they refuse to address the issue and clarify their stance.

Maddening as hell.

DISH Employee

Hello ACKNICKERBOCKER. We definitely understand your concern. Thank you for providing your valuable feedback. There are some issues that take a bit longer to find a complete resolution to as the things causing the issue may not be the same for everyone, so our engineers work on that overall solution. We do thank you for your patience during this process.

Once we are provided a resolution for this concern via our engineering department, we will definitely keep everyone posted. Thank you again for taking time out of your busy day to provide us with your feedback 

ACKNICKERBOCKER
Camera Crew

Thanks for your attempt at customer relations, but unfortunately your explanation falls flat.

This issue has been ongoing for OVER 2 YEARS and Dish hasn't even come close to disclosing a root cause or the availability of any fix.

When I was doing software development, an error that went unresolved for 2 years would have resulted in my termination along with the rest of my department.

I encourage you to review this thread yourself and see the inane, inept response from Dish to this issue.

It is clearly at the absolute bottom of the priority stack, if it is even on the to-do list at all.

There is simply no excuse for this situation to have gone unresolved for this long.

I request you show this note to whomever is in charge of resolving hardware and software issues with Dish DVR's in the hopes it lights a fire under someone's butt to either fix it or acknowledge that no fix is forthcoming.

The situation is inexcusable.

If Dish decides to do something about it, I would be happy to share my experiences and troubleshooting results with an appropriate technician......I too have an EHD with a ton of content that I cannot access.