Hopper Will Not Recognize External Hard Drive

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Hopper Will Not Recognize External Hard Drive

DISH Employee

Hi engineer459, please send me a private message with your phone number and 4 digit security code.

Notilltom
Extra

I guess I have to join the club of people who had success with an EHD working only to quit working. When we upgraded from a 722 to a new hopper on Dec 27 I moved old recordings on the 722 to a cleaned and formatted WD 1.0 T hard drive which seemed to be supported just fine.  We enjoyed being able to watch old recordings on the new Hopper.  

Then something happened and the EHD was no longer recognized and the prompt was to reformat.  This is unacceptable.  I believe some updates happened such the new system no longer recognizes the EHD. I tried the unplug, plug, reset, etc.  not better.

i called support with a similar response to reformat.  He suggested I post on the myDish.  

FIRMWARE is U714 installed in April 19  2019

EHD WD10000H1C8-00

DISH Employee

Thank you for reaching out to us. I know that this has to definitely be frustrating. I'd be pleased to have your information added to the list for our engineers to review. Can you please shoot me a private message that includes your phone number, and security pin so that I may access your account?

Notilltom
Extra

@KimberlyH wrote:

Thank you for reaching out to us. I know that this has to definitely be frustrating. I'd be pleased to have your information added to the list for our engineers to review. Can you please shoot me a private message that includes your phone number, and security pin so that I may access your account?

How do I reply directly?   

DISH Employee

To send a Private Message:
 Make sure you are signed into the Communities page.
 Click the message count or envelope icon to go to your Private Messages Inbox.

Click Compose New Message.
 Enter the recipient's name in the Send to area.
 Enter the subject for the message in the Message Subject area.
 Type the reply in the Message Body editor.
 Then click Send Message

Fixer1111
Character Actor
Asking to format is much different than this problem in this topic. We are not seeing the hard drive recognized at all. You may have a failing hard drive unfortunately. Very common if your hard drive is over five years old.

ACKNICKERBOCKER
Character Actor

I too am having the problem of the external HDD not being recognized. 

I had DISH send me a new Hopper 3 due to this, and the drive was recognized for about 3 weeks, until one day it was no longer able to transfer recording from the internal hard drive. 

I did all the usual steps that have been explained in this forum for over 18 months, and nothing worked. 

I also obtained 2 other external drives, with their own USB cables and power supplies, for a total of 3 different units. 

I have tried every possible combination of mixing cables, drives, USB ports, and power on / reset sequences. Nothing works - the Hopper does not recognize any of the drives - and they are all recognized on my computers (yes, multiple computers). 

I have over 30 years of IT experience, so I know how to troubleshoot and isolate a fault or failure. 

This is unquestionably a DISH problem, and the sheer number and variations of reports of this make it clear that the problem is not with the customer's equipment or procedures. 

This is poor quality software from DISH - there is no other explanation. 

Further, looking back through this thread, it is asinine that the DISH employees keep asking for info to add a customer "to the list" of people with this issue. 

Get your act together DISH. 

This problem has been going on for over 18 months, with zero - ZERO - reports of any kind of resolution, or progress towards resolution. 

This kind of incompetence demands people's jobs. 

Stop stalling, stop lying to us, and stop with the excuses. 

You could have designed an entirely new DVR in the time this issue has been known. 

Come clean, and either fix it or just admit that you cannot or will not do so. 

Your integrity on this issue is non-existent. 

You look foolish and incompetent, and the patience of your users (i.e., me) is not endless. 

Get on it. 

dac1953
Character Actor

Per previous post...............DITTO!

KachinaShadow
Audio Engineer

Couldn't agree more with @ACKNICKERBOCKER 

Both of my EHD's disappered overnight again. It's been happening almost nightly but the previous three nights they didn't disappear so now that they're gone again I will, once again, repost my issue and will continue to do so until someone actually takes notice and does something about it so here it is...

I've had one of my EHD's (could be either one or both) disappear from the list with no set pattern, just at random. This has been going on for a couple of years sometimes ocurring regularly over a 2 to 3 week period and sometimes everything will be just fine for up to a week or more...it makes no sense.

Sometimes it (they) will come back by just unplugging & replugging the power from the offending EHD(s) or with just a simple push of the reset button and sometimes it (they) won't reappear at all (or just one will reappear) unless I pull the Hopper 3 w/Sling plug for 30 seconds and then it always comes back. Just resetting the Hopper from the menu will sometimes bring both drives back...sometimes it's just one but more often than not it's none.

It's a real pain when you want to view something that's on one of the EHD's (which are no longer showing up) and the Hopper 3 w/Sling is in the middle of recording something so then you can either try to unplug the power from the EHD(s) or wait to reset the Hopper until the recording is done so you don't interupt the recording.

Over the past week or so this has been happening more often...this morning both of my EHD's were missing, the Hopper was recording, and unplugging the EHD's did nothing so now I'm waiting for the recordings to finish so that I can unplug the Hopper and until then nobody can watch anything from any of the EHD's.

Note that both EHD'S are WD 2TB My Book USB 3.0 drives (Dish recommended).

We lost HBO & Cinemax so PLEASE GET THESE EHD ISSUES SOLVED so that it at least makes us feel better about sticking with Dish and not going to that other satellite provider...I have been a loyal Dish customer for 13 years.

DISH Employee

Hello KachinaShadow. I understand that this experience with using your external hard drive is extremely frustrating. I did see something that could be causing this issue when you listed your equipment. Part of the EHD requirement is that you would want to us USB 2.0-compatible cable. I believe that the Hopper is USB 3.0 backwards compatible, but this could be why it's not working quite right. I would like to investigate this issue with you a bit further. Can you send us a Private message please? 
https://communities.dish.com/t5/Communities-101/How-To-Send-a-Private-Message/td-p/15039