Hopper Will Not Recognize External Hard Drive

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hopper Will Not Recognize External Hard Drive

Bargnhtng
Character Actor
I bought an external hard drive and plugged it in according to directions but no matter what I do it does not recognize that it is plugged in. I never get the notice to format it. I have tried all 3 USB ports several times. I even left it plugged in for several days hoping it will finally find it but it has not. I have rebooted the Hopper many times and tried every combination I can think of to get it to connect but it won't

The hard drive meets the Dish specifications, 2 TB with its own power supply. It is brand new so I am sure there is nothing wrong with the hard drive. The power light goes on and sometimes it beeps.

What else can I do?
42 Replies

Re: Hopper Will Not Recognize External Hard Drive

Chadt41411
Casting Director
Is it a single disk drive? Not flash? And USB2.0?

DISH Employee
Can I have you try unplugging the Hopper and the Hard Drive then disconnect the USB connection?
We want to reset them both at the same time, then plug the Hopper back in. After it finishes resetting, plug the Hard Drive back in to the receiver and the power source. Let me know if you're able to get the reformatting message after the reset.

Bargnhtng
Character Actor
I had done all that before but I did it again just now and nothing happened. I never get the message.

I noticed in the my equipment section of the MyDish.com website it says NO where it says External Drive Enabled. Is that service somehow turned off?

Chadt41411
Casting Director
Unless you are connecting it to a VIP 211 series receiver, it will always say no. That’s because there is no charge to connect it to an HD DVR.

peggyrh
Associate Producer
would be easier to help if you would list the brand & model number of the hard drive so someone can tell you if it's supported or if it's a defective hard drive (since it's brand new).

Bargnhtng
Character Actor
Buffalo Technology - DriveStation Axis Velocity 2TB External USB 3.0/2.0 Hard Drive bought from Best Buy, new in box.

DISH Employee
I was able to confirm it does have its own power source, thank you!

Have you tried connecting it to another USB port on your receiver? This would help us know if it's the port having the issue, or something else.

If you try that and it doesn't work, try connecting the hard drive to your computer and see if you get any messages or can access it that way, to see if it's an issue with the hard drive or the receiver itself.

tobyshouse
Character Actor
Have you tried connecting the drive without it's power supply directly to the front usb port on the hopper? You might also try pulling the smart card from hopper out and putting back in. This will force a reboot of the hopper. Just for giggles see if the hard drive works on a computer first, you never know it might be bad right out the box...

bacteria99
Extra

I have been using a set of drives for about the last 2 years. As the updates to the Hopper have happened the ability to see the drives reliably have gone down to now it does not see the drives at all. Since the upgrade to the Hopper software the unit is performing like you are trying to run a mamoth piece of software on a Yugo. Everything worked fine with the old software, my personal favorite is clicking on a recording and then having to wait a minute or two and it comes up with information from an adjacent square. 

How can your new software be fixed to recognize hard drives that it used to see reliably every time. I have tried all the tricks, power off, pull the drives and power it on and reconnect which used to work when the software first changed but that doesn't work anymore either. 

I wonder if Comcast has this many software issues in addition it is coming up on storm season again so I supposed the whole raining issue with the dish going out issue is coming up but since I can no longer access any old recordings, this is the only thing that stops me from moving onto something else since if I did I would lose these recordings. 

Let me know if you guys care????