Hopper Will Not Recognize External Hard Drive

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Hopper Will Not Recognize External Hard Drive

SharonTexas
Character Actor

Thanks, Paul.  I've learned so much the past few days! Hopefully some of that knowledge will solve my issue.

Take care,

Sharon

DISH Employee

Just to confirm, Kachina is correct, I use that exact drive on one of my testing receivers.  It works just fine.  I do reccomend using the bottom usb port on the back of the receiver as previously mentioned though.

tcat007
Character Actor
Oddly, since I complained and Dish asked for my account info, my ehd has been showing up for the past week. Not sure if they did something to the account, or the fact I disconnected one. I don't think 1 or 2 drives has anything to do with it, since I tried all combinations several weeks ago with no luck. Hope it stays connected! Thanks Dish, if you fixed it.
Highlighted

KachinaShadow
Audio Engineer

@Jason_C 

Too bad they couldn't have added a second USB 3.0 port.

Although I've only had my EHD's disappear twice since recieving the replacement Hopper3 (as opposed to it having become an almost daily thing on the old Hopper3), tell me what you think of me trying this...

...using a USB 3.0 hub and running both EHD's through the USB 3.0 port on the Hopper3

Not likely but maybe there's a speed issue causing these EHD problems and by having two 3.0 drives, with one using the slower 2.0 port, if the one drive (in the 2.0 port) doesn't spin up fast enough on ocassion then maybe the Hopper decides to not see it or not see both drives. I see that Dish recommends a minimum of 2.0 so maybe everything needs to be 3.0 and connect to that lower 3.0 port.

Kinda graspin' at straws here Smiley Wink

Paul

DISH Employee

Well like I mentioned  before Paul I can only say what Dish promises will work.  That is 1 ehd connected, which is usb 2.0 compliant, with a single platter drive, of 2tb or smaller in size.  Anything beyond that is a "you can try but we don't promise it will work" scenario.

To be honest I don't think the detection issue is due to a ehd spin up problem.

KachinaShadow
Audio Engineer

@Jason_C 

That's pretty much what I thought but I think I'll give it a try just to see. For $10 what the heck...I've spent $10 on crazier ideas, like thinking I might win the lottery Smiley Wink

@Jason_C wrote:

Well like I mentioned  before Paul I can only say what Dish promises will work.  That is 1 ehd connected, which is usb 2.0 compliant, with a single platter drive, of 2tb or smaller in size.  Anything beyond that is a "you can try but we don't promise it will work" scenario.

To be honest I don't think the detection issue is due to a ehd spin up problem.

SharonTexas
Character Actor

Thanks for confirming, Jason. Yes, I see that the bottom USB is 2.0 so will use that one.

Take care,

Sharon

KachinaShadow
Audio Engineer

@SharonTexas 

Actually the bottom USB port is the faster 3.0 which is why Jason is telling you to use that one. The 2.0 he's referring to is the Dish minimum requirement for an EHD.

@SharonTexas wrote:

Thanks for confirming, Jason. Yes, I see that the bottom USB is 2.0 so will use that one.

Take care,

Sharon

dbax42
Character Actor

Hi, Sounds to me as if your HD is faulty.  I have connected Western Digital 1TB drive to two different Hopper3 plugging into the 3.0 USB with no problem.  Have you tried connecting your HD to a laptop to see if it registers on a PC?  

I recently added an external HD, a Western Digital, USB3.0.  For other reasons I had to have my receiver replaced, the Hopper3, what I found was that the HD is some how configured for the Hopper it is originally connected.  In changing the Hopper3 for tech problems I discovered that I could not connect to the newer Hopper and transfer the contents back onto the new HD.  I know I was instructions for being able to do this, but then after I discovered it would not read the HD I read that you cannot do what I was trying to do.  I formated the HD and it works perfectly with the New Replacement Hopper3, just as it did with the previous Hopper.  Bummer, I lost all those recording.  I use the HD to build a movie data bank, which is probably a waste of time as everything keeps moving toward On Demand play.  

While getting the replacement Hopper installed by a Tech, he told me that connecting a HD is not supported by Dish, unless it is their HD (?), that is what he said.  He was warning me that if I connect the HD I had to the new receiver, they would take no responsibility for anything that may happen.  I have yet to find anywhere it says that you have to use only Dish HD sold by them.  

The formating, hook up and transfer of recordings is so straight forward, I am thinking the problem is with your HD.  Hope this has been of some help?

@Bargnhtng wrote:
I bought an external hard drive and plugged it in according to directions but no matter what I do it does not recognize that it is plugged in. I never get the notice to format it. I have tried all 3 USB ports several times. I even left it plugged in for several days hoping it will finally find it but it has not. I have rebooted the Hopper many times and tried every combination I can think of to get it to connect but it won't

The hard drive meets the Dish specifications, 2 TB with its own power supply. It is brand new so I am sure there is nothing wrong with the hard drive. The power light goes on and sometimes it beeps.

What else can I do?

KachinaShadow
Audio Engineer

@Jason_C 

Hey Jason,

Thought I'd update you on my idea of plugging BOTH of my WD 2TB My Book USB 3.0 hard drives into a USB 3.0 hub plugged into the USB 3.0 port on the Hopper (instead of one in the USB 2.0 port and the other in the USB 3.0 port...

With my original Hopper 3 w/sling I would lose one or both EHD's every couple of days. After you sent me a new Hopper 3 w/sling to replace the original, the EHD's disappeared 3 times in a little over two weeks.

As I had mentioned before, I was going to try connecting BOTH EHD's to a USB 3.0 hub plugged into the USB 3.0 port instead of having one plugged into the USB 2.0 port and the other in the USB 3.0 port. My thinking was that for some reason a spin up/speed issue may be causing the EHD's.

It's been 6 weeks since I installed the USB hub and BOTH EHD's have remained detected the entire time (never dropped)...something I have never seen with either of the Hopper 3's Smiley Very Happy